Monday, May 1, 2017

May 1, 1917 - Thanking you all for the splendid hospitality extended to me.

Here is a letter that Joe's sister Clara sent Helen after a visit to New York City. I t is a very cordial letter to her soon to be sister in law.



May 1, 1917

My dear Helen,

Joe and I arrived safely in Bridgeport and found everything OK.
I am still talking about the good time you gave me and wish to take this opportunity of thanking you all for the splendid hospitality extended to me and the good care taken of me. I hope when you come to Bridgeport I will be able to reciprocate.

We are feeling fine and hope you are the same. Mother's knee is much better, Louis removed the plaster and that helps her get around a little easier. When we came home she was waiting near the windows for us. Louis stayed home with her.

I am sorry I did not say "goodby" to Abe when I left, but I do not think he was home, will you tell him for me?

You can see by the different color of the ink how many times I was interrupted while waiting this letter by my big brother Charles, every little while he would want something else and call out from his room.

By the way, how is your arm, does it pain you yet, I hope it is alright now.
Well, I will close now with much love to you and your folks from mother and myself and the rest of us and again thanking you for myself and from mother for giving me such a good time, I remain,

Very lovingly,
Clara

PS Write when you get a chance.

The second letter from Joe on May 1 will be the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment