Wednesday, May 31, 2017

May 31, 1917 - Dear, you cannot imagine how impatiently I am awaiting the nineteenth.

Here is the last letter in May 1917. We now enter the month of June and as you can see Joe is ready to move time along.






May 31,1917.
My dearest:

It is nearly six o'clock, and everybody has left the office, and before I start for supper, I thought it a good time to talk to you.

Charles has been away campaigning, in Hartford this afternoon, in Torrington to-night, and in Middletown tomorrow. Naturally I have had quite a few of his matters before me, in addition to my own.

Do you know why I really left last night, in addition to the fact that I had to be up at six this morning to be in Court on time, and I would arrive in Bridgeport after one even when I took the 11:15? It was because I had a slight chill while sitting in the movies without my overcoat, and when I got to your house I was positive I had contracted a cold, and desired more than ever to get to a place where I could take something to bust it all up; for I'd be a fine kind of a groom to be sneezing and coughing on my wedding day, wouldn't I? Well, I tackled my old medicine last night “switzed” like a good fellow, took some more medicine this morning, and now feel as good as ever, although I had the sneezers earlier in the day.

By the way, the cold, if any had started was routed, and is not around here any more.

I had so little time for that train that I had to leave my coat at the Club, and my other coat was at the office, so I had to do some sprinting to get to the office, and climb up stairs, because the lifts were not running that early, and still make the 7:05 train. How much sleep do you imagine I had during the night? That's right you guessed it.

To-night the Board of Registration meets, and we'll probably be at it till wee in the small hours, but I'm feeling, good, so I should worry.

By the way, dear, Charles and several more people have informed me that at a large mass meeting in Ansonia, to be com­posed of our co-religionists of many of the little town in the Naugatuck Valley, to be held this coming Sunday night, I have not only been invited to speak, but that three or four different people have been assigned to make sure that I am there; and since Charles is very insistent upon it, it looks to me as if we wont eat in Eugenie's that night. I will have to leave New York about six arriving in Bridgeport, about seven thirty and connecting for Ansonia arriving there about eight thirty or thereabouts. Don't you think that you spare me just that one Sunday night; you know that I have been away from these parts on Sunday for quite awhile, and when we start away for our trip pretty soon, it will keep me away again for a little while?

I understand that Stella has written you about the week end; she has told me that it would perhaps be better if you deferred coming at any other time, when they could entertain properly; for just now, Charles is in the midst of campaigning and everything here is astir with it. That kind of fits in with your plans, so it works out O.K.

I am going to try to get to N.Y. early Saturday to make an attempt at the license. By golly, my writing Is worse than my long hand. I do not know why it is that I am writing so poorly on the new machines, unless it is the fact that with the girls doing all my work, I am out of practice, and when I do write, I try to keep up my old speed, and further, I have just discovered, it, my nails are manicured too long, and the end protruding over will strike the key just above the one I am aiming at. I will write with a pen or if to be legible, will have to chew down my nails; which shall it be?

Dear, you cannot imagine how impatiently I am awaiting the nineteenth. You are so good and so affectionate, that the days seem different if I do not see you, if only for a minute. Once your letters had some sort of an effect to help remedy it, but it is you that I am waiting so patiently for. And when this reaches you the best month of the year will have begun. What is so rare as a day in June? The nineteenth, thus far, because it is so slow in coming.

With lots of love and kisses to the sweetest lil girl and most affectionate companion that a fellow could ever hope for,
I am

Your little fat man
Joe

The next letter is June 5

No comments:

Post a Comment