Sunday, May 28, 2017

May 28, 1917 - The love you liberate in your loving is the only love to have.

Here is the second letter from May 28th and as you see as we approach June 19th Joe is eager to see and be with Helen more and more.



Monday night.
My darling:

Have just finished for the evening, and before re­tiring thought that the most appropriate thing I could do would be to drop you a line.

Can you imagine what I have been thinking of all day, in between my usual work? It was about how loving and tender you have been during my recent visit; and while I never had any idea that the superfine love that you have always displayed could be improved upon, yet I actually notice it going to the nth degree, more particularly during the last few weeks. Somehow you are even more affectionate that it makes me feel that as the wedding bells approach, you are getting into your own, and that when they arrive, you'll continue that way forever and a day. I believe I've told you something like that before, but it is so good, it is worth repeating. To paraphrase Elbert Hubbard's “the love you liberate in your work is the only love you keep”, I would say the love you liberate in your loving is the only love to have.

Of course that you know that this is not the vapid ravings of a nineteen year old love stricken youth but comes direct from the heart that ought to know what it is thinking about, if the heart can think.
My dear, doesn't that sound great? I wish that I had gone to New York; and as you know would have if not for the press­ing matter on hand.

Tomorrow I start the trial of a case that will probably take all day, and I'll finish just in time to start for Shelton. But on the way over I’11 find an opportunity of talking up the matter of arranging for panels for the various rooms that you had an idea you might consider fixing up in that style. I’11 also get a line on tiles etc.so that perhaps when I see you again we can talk over just about what we would like, and then try to realize as closely as possible, our wishes.

Stella suggested that you spend the week-end with her if you have no other appointments. I haven’t the slightest idea of what plans are to be made "for your entertainment; and when asked whether you could come, my answer was that I did not know just what you had on, but I had an impression that you expected to go to Mount Vernon on Sunday to see some old friends, that are not so old at that; but I added that you would answer for yourself.

Maybe it might be better that you spend the following week-end, for if we make the proper arrangements in Shelton, it would be convenient for you to then look over the situation and have the entire matter clearly in mind when laying out your plans. But think it over,and anything that suits you, dear, is good enough for me.

It has been teeming all day; otherwise I might have gone out to see about my oar, to find about just what condition it was in, and whether the fellow who was to design it was born yet. Perhaps tomorrow may offer a few moments for that purpose; for you know that I am on the trail of it.
With lots of love and kisses again I am Your
Joe

The next letter is May 31

1 comment:

  1. Amazing article Such a nice source of information i got from you. It's really interesting and informative article. Thanks for sharing ! Conversation warehouses Builders in Tamilnadu | Colour Roofing Sheet manufacturer in Tamilnadu

    ReplyDelete