Tuesday, May 23, 2017

May 23, 1917 - A double letter day!

This happens sometimes with Joe. He manages to send out two letters in one day. Looks like he was trying to convince her about a baseball game. Here is a photo I found on line of the Polo Grounds from 1917.


 Letter # 1



May 23,1917.

My dear:

That train last night was the bestest that I ever saw on the New Haven. It not only left on time and arrived on time, but there were plenty of seats, and the car was a perfectly new one with very good lights for reading. I read to Mount Vernon, and then retired till Bridgeport, and had the sleep of my young life. I sort of smiled to myself, when I recalled that four weeks later I would again be traveling on a train, but not on the New Haven, and not reading any papers to Mount Vernon, by any means.

When I landed last night, mother insisted on my eating some pineapple that she had cooked or stewed or something, and she had some cookies just like yours; what do you know about that? Naturally, I would not disappoint her, so had another little repast. I know what you are thinking about. Whose cookies were best? It is hard to say, really. Considering that it was your first attempt, and knowing how mother feels about it, I'11 vote for you. When I told about it last night, mother said something about the fact that you are learning the right way to a man's heart, and when I said the cookies were very good, she smiled, and said some more about the fact that I should always feel that way about all the things that you make for me.

It is nearly noon, and I have just received a phone call from the clerk to the effect that in that case you read about where the wife sued her husband for a divorce because he was cruel to her, remember?, that the divorce was granted to my client-the woman-what do you think von dot?

I shall probably get a wire from your father in the morning in reference to going to Waterbury, and really would like to get back to New York with him in the evening, but that cannot be, because Friday is my big day, and I ought to have this evening for preparation.

Am starting out for lunch with some people.
Lots of love and kisses,
Your
Joe

Letter #2




May 23,1917.
My darling:

I dropped you a line before lunch, not knowing that I would have the opportunity of doing so at this time. The folks all saw Doctor Wise's letter, and are naturally very much pleased with its contents; and now I am sending it to you, since you said you desired to keep it, among others.  
As things look now, I shall leave for New York early Saturday morning, arriving about nine, and after checking up at the Club, will go downtown to attend to several matters, and expect to be through by noon. From then on, I am at your service, for such dis­position as you wish to make.

In as much as the Cubs play the Giants on Saturday, and both teams are as good as there are in the baseball world just at present it would be a treat to take in that game, at least so far as I am concerned, and I know that you like to see a game yourself.

Of course, it will depend on your friends whether they-are of the same frame of mind, but any arrangement you make will be perfectly satisfactory to me, and shall join in heartily in having a good time, even if it resolves itself down to playing five hundred or hearts; but the Polo grounds look pretty good.

According to Dr. Wise's letter we ought to call on him; and when I get there Saturday, and phone you, will you in turn remind me to phone him, so that this matter is properly attended to.
There was something wise you were to remind me of, cards I believe, and you were to get samples of the style and size of the card; and any time you send them to me, or give the proper information so that I can give it to the engraver, I'll be pleased to have them attended to. I presume that you will want three different cards, and do not know just how many of each, so think it over too.

If there is anything else you can think of that you wish, suppose you make a little note of it, and tell me Saturday. No, I cannot bring a house along but almost anything else. By the way I have an appointment with my automobile friend, and will try to fix up that matter this week if possible, believe me. It is getting to be too nice, to waste Sunday afternoons trying to think of where to go, with the fine roads and beautiful country just yearning to have us ride along in a new machine, with you at the wheel, after you learn how to manipulate it, which shouldn't take long.

I thought that we could have it for Saturday, but the chances are against it, being so late in the week, but wouldn't it be nice if we could call on Doctor Wise in a week or so in the car, and then spin around to see some of your friends, making short stops, and so clean that duty up?
I'm going over to that place now, and hope to be able to report that all is well, and the bus on the way.

With, more love, Your
Joe


The next letter is May 28

No comments:

Post a Comment