Monday, May 1, 2017

May 1, 1917 - The more I see you, the more I want you . . .

Here is a charming letter from Joe to his bride to be. He is getting excited as the day is arriving.




May 1,1917,

Darling lil girl:

To night, as you are aware, I am scheduled to speak in several small towns in this vicinity; and I think it best to spend the afternoon preparing several thoughts in presentable shape. I almost wish that you were around to give me a lift in the job; and give me the benefit of some of your ideas. Maybe you could also tell me some good stories as a starter, to get the audiences in the right frame of mind and smiling, prepared to accept the real stuff when it is finally given them.

The day is very dreary, and for some unknown cause, I have had a peach of an attack of the blues for a couple of days. I suppose it is the large number of cases that I had to attend to in the night session last Friday, and again last night; with another scheduled for Friday night.

In speaking to a friend to day, I told him the answer you give when asked when you'll get “marreyed” and he laughed awhile till finally he blurted out “gee, but you are booking up your dates away ahead.”   He said he met his wife on Sunday at a picnic, proposed the next Sunday, and was married in a month, and has been picknicking ever since. Believe me, he was going some; but if you saw his wiff-as he calls her-you would see that no one other than one who just met and proposed to her would get married if he waited, and considered what he was about.

It is different with you. The more I see you, the more I want you; and the more intense my desire to have you right here all the time, here we can he together, and sail along in our little figurative boat, while I row, you are to sing.

Oh dearie, I just thought that I will be in New York tomorrow afternoon, to take some depositions, and if you care to see me work-though it is an informal hearing with nothing out of the ordinary-I will call you up when I arrive (perhaps)and you can accompany me; otherwise I'll meet you afterwards. I'll phone when I arrive; my intention at this time being to leave here about 12:46 arriving about 2:15; like last Saturday.

It is simply pouring out, and if it keeps up, I am not at all sure whether those meetings will be held other than the one in Shelton, where they would meet under any circumstances, once the notice was published to that effect. They stick once they get started.
Clara has a dandy pansy bed in her yard, and the softest and bluest pansies ever are in full bloom just now, and the three rose bushes have already sprouted their buds and the nicest little leaves are already clearly visible. The morning glories are still asleep, but they wake up when many of the other flowers are disappearing, so it keeps up a continual bloom all summer. Does this put any ideas into your cabeza?     By the way, some one said stucko houses are very pretty if they have red roofs and green blinds or shades of a harmonious contrast.

I have a long distance call in and expect the bell to “woof woof woof”. With lots of love and kisses,

I am Your
Joe

The next 2 letters are on May 3

No comments:

Post a Comment