Sunday, May 28, 2017

May 28, 1917 - The operator said “seventy cents on that N.Y. call.”

I guess they went to that baseball game mentioned in the last letter from May 23rd. This is one of the players pictured below that Joe mentions by name in this letter.


Dave Robertson - New York Giants


Monday afternoon,near six.

My dear:

You really do not expect a long letter, do you, since the fact reveals itself that I have spoken to you only a few minutes before writing?

Yet I know that you want something to arrive in the morning, even if it is only a little scratch, so am delighted to talk this way again to you.

By the way, you recall that home-run of Davey Robertson? The papers say that it was the longest drive ever recorded in baseball history, for it went clean, in a straight line over the right field fence, and also over the right field stands. And also the Giants played errorlessball.

I am almost in your position, having spoken, and given you all the important news, there is only sixty sheets of in­formation left, and no place to start to open to begin the commencement, as Louis Mann used to say.

I would like to go to the City tomorrow night, but owing to that meeting I told you of, it cannot be; however, I am very hopeful about being able to get away early Wednesday morning for the day, and will tell you about it tomorrow. If you have a few minutes, spose you think up some plan for that day.

With lots of love and kisses, to my dear, I am
Your
Joe
The operator said “seventy cents on that N.Y. call.”

The next letter is May 29

1 comment:

  1. You are providing very nice informative articles thanks for it . Kindly visit us @ Best HIV Treatment in India

    ReplyDelete