Sunday, May 21, 2017

May 21, 1917 - Reminds me of the time just about like now some ten years ago, as I was about to graduate

This letter brings out the close relationship Joe had with his brother Charles. He reflects on ten years ago in 1907 when Joe was just graduating from Yale. As he says time has flown.




May 21,1917.
My darling:

It is way after eight, and Charles and I are at the office working in our old boyhood style, that is we are talking over many matters awaiting our collective consideration, and incidentally are talking about you, and getting married, and the house, and the honeymoon, and the future, and so many things that it reminds me of the time just about like now some ten years ago, as I was about to graduate, and we talked of getting together and trying our skill and luck in partnership. How the time has flown, and how old we have gotten, to say nothing of how stout.

But is wonderful as we have been taking an inventory. Just think in ten years each of us have gotten-I almost- the best girls in the world; and I'll have the really best in another month. When I said almost I was qualifying the time, not the bestest, by any manner of means.
And we have become established, thank heaven-and feel as though we have really accomplished something already. Oh, but this is a dandy evening. Charles has stepped out for a moment so I am writing.

My dear, tomorrow I am down to try a case in the Superior Court, and it will positively take all day and perhaps run into Wednesday, so I can see that I’ll not be able to get to New York till Thursday at any rate. But it is real work that is keeping me and I know that you will be rather glad that it is such an excuse that I must offer, isn’t that so?

Of course you would never think that I had to stand all the way from New York last night and was nearly dead when l arrived here.

But I had such a delightful week end that I feel tickled all over, and will anxiously await my chance to get to the City near the middle of the week.

We are going to finish very soon, and will take our old fashioned walk down the park and talk over many little things that develop and that we cannot find time to get at during all the day, no matter how hard we try.

I would have gone to New York tonight but did not expect to get through so soon.
Tomorrow noon perhaps, at least at night, I'll write and tell you some more plans.

I have received confirmation from Saratoga saying that that have reserved the best in the Hotel for us, how's that?

These are short sentences, but with so many things buzzing through my mind, I am surprised that I can think of any definite idea.

With lots of love and kisses,
I am
Joe

The next letter will be May 23 a two letter day

No comments:

Post a Comment