Monday, May 15, 2017

May 15, 1917 - I'm terribly lonesome for you, and would like to tear just five weeks off the map, at this very minute.

Here is a fun letter from Joe while on a business trip in Derby Connecticut. He is getting very excited and they are still adding to the wedding list just five weeks from now. When he is requesting guests to attend the wedding I really see the lawyer come out in him pleading his case. Below is a postcard photo of the Hotel Clark; take note of stationary.

  
 

 


Tuesday

Dearest,

Will you b'lieve me when I say that this letter is the first chance I've had to scribble a line to you since I left New York?

I was in Court all Monday and spent the entire evening with the Board of Aldermen (till midnight) and leaving at supper time from B'Port to get to Shelton on time.

All day today in Court, and am now - as you can see - in Derby, and scribbling while I get my first meal today. I'm so tired that I'm not hungry in the least.

Surest thing you know, I'll be in New York tomorrow night (Wed.) to see the sweetest girl in all creation. If I finish in Court on time, I'll take the 4:10 otherwise a little later.

If you're down town you can watch the train come in, but it will not be safe, for I don't know just what time I'll leave.

Dear, I'm terribly lonesome for you, and would like to tear just five weeks off the map, at this very minute. What think you?

I've been very fortunate so far. Tried two cases Monday and won, and tried two today and already have favorable decisions. Incidentally I succeeded in securing the settlement of the three cases in my favor, so my batting average, or streak - as you call it, has started again; tho it wasn't interrupted for long at all.

I want to write fifty pages to start telling you how much I love you, but my hands are weary and can hardly move along; they have been working - taking notes & evidence - for several days.
However I'll see you soon you know!

Oh yes; Charles thinks that Cousin Sig & Sallie and Gus  & Nat ought to be at our wedding. He's talked to mother and she thinks so too since our two families are so intimate in so many ways, and when I told him of conditions, he said that I've have been together so frequently and have interests in common that it isn't just the right thing for me to do at the most important event in my life. As regards to Mr. & Mrs. K. he said I met you through them, and have always been close and I ought really to have them come, perhaps on the same theory as Pauline and Albert. That would make twelve besides myself - whom perhaps you'll invite and as he says - for a man of my prominence and friends, that is a very small number, considering several others that really might be invited, but whom no mention is now made. So listen, girlie, just think it over, and take your time, and I'll go over the matter with you tomorrow. It strikes me, he is right, after all, but we'll talk it over in N.Y. tomorrow night.

Here's hoping you are feeling as charming and well as when I left you.

With love & kisses I am
Your
Joe

The next letter is May 18


No comments:

Post a Comment