Thursday, May 18, 2017

May 18, 1917 - That letter of yours has not arrived yet

Here is a letter written one month before Helen and Joe are getting married. It is interesting that they are still firming up the guest list and making plans for their honeymoon. It looks like they were also taking a business after their honeymoon to the famous Grand Union Hotel in Saratoga, NY. See photo below.





Thursday night about 8.

My darling:

You cannot imagine how glad I was to get the chance of talking to you, if only for a minute or so, to-day, I do wish that the proverbial haste of time would begin to show itself for a little while at least.

While I think of it, I dropped a line of reminder to Doctor Wise this morning, asking about that date that you made for some time in June, and hope to have his reply by the time I get to the City on Saturday.

I had real hopes of going early in the morning, as I told you, but the local lawyer here who was to settle a case so that I could take the necessary papers along-incidentally the check also-has not yet handed the same over to me, although he has been promising to do so for the past week or more; still I have fond hopes that he will make good tomorrow.

When I arrive in the big town, I'll call as is my custom, and let you know just about when I'll be at liberty, and I shall not hurry, for you are to have your dressmaker there all day, and so do not wish to be interrupted, nest ce pas?

How glad do you imagine I was, when I found that the folks had reversed themselves, and changed their minds, and decided on your ideas? I do not yet know the reason for their doing it, though I suspect that Charles intervened after he learned of my ideas on the matter. Perhaps tomorrow, when the opportunity offers itself, I'll make a little inquiry into the why's and where­fore's of the matter; and will be interested in learning the real cause.

Also, that letter of yours has not arrived yet, and so do not know what its contents are; all the same I have a sneaking feel­ing that perhaps the K's might he invited; but with all the plans changed I will not say any more till I see you about it how's that?

There remain just two long documents for me to get out before I shall get near any bed; and believe me, I have some work yet to do when this letter is finished, so it will terminate soon.

I have made inquiry relative to a trip to Niagara Falls, East Aurora, Buffalo, then to the St. Lawrence, Lake George etc. and will know in a day or two just how the routing is made, and the incidental arrangements that are necessary, together with such accommodations at hotels are as required, in order to be enabled to lay out my plans. In the meantime, the Convention in Saratoga is held July 23rd, for a week, at the Grand Union Hotel, and I have made reservations for very nice quarters for that time, and ex­pect to receive confirmation of the same before Saturday.

Dearest, while I want to write some more, I fear that the hour is growing late, and Court tomorrow holds quite a bunch for my attention, so will leave off here; with a bunch of love etc.

Your
Joe

The next letter is May 21

No comments:

Post a Comment