Monday, May 8, 2017

May 8, 1917 - Before the blossoms fly, we may be out riding on Sunday

Looks like Joe is getting a new machine! Here is a picture of a car from the Lozier Automobile Company.







Tuesday afternoon

My darling,

For the first time in quite awhile, I went to Charles' house, and among the other topics, naturally, the subject of these letters came up.  I immediately quoted my pencil notation, amidst a young cyclone, with the result that when I reached the office, I found five typewritten to be sent to you, and the are so enclosed.

Do you remember my saying that Stella wanted to have you spend a week-end here? Well, it's for this week if you can arrange it. In fact Charles, Stella, Dr. & Mrs. Rosen, Cousin Sig & Sally (six of 'em) are to be in New York tomorrow to take in two shows. The Willow Tree in the afternoon, Disraeli, at night.

I don't know what the idea is to pick out Wednesday, I'm sure; but the have done so. And Stella said she would call you on the phone and make her plans for Saturday etc. at that time direct with you.
Charles leaves here early tomorrow and naturally expects me to be in the office. The joke is that I have a case to try and will be away all day myself, so now it is problematical whether I can get away in the evening at all to see you, but of course you know I'll try till the last shot is fired.

I am not certain just what the week end invitation includes, nor just what plans are made to take care of you while here, so do not be too hasty in accepting, but think it over, and then decide.
By the way, I really and truly expect my new machine in ten days or so. My client was in less than an hour ago, took a new order for a new model, and said he would try to get some standard make in that time, although no new ones have reached here in some time. My choice was for a Lozier and he said he'd try, and let me know in a couple of days what's what so before the blossoms fly, we may be out riding on Sunday after all, so we expected.

He almost persuaded me to get a five passenger car, saying that if "your wife has any girl friends newly married and the four of you for instance want to run down to Atlantic City over Sunday, you can do it". Gee, does he know Pauline?

What do you think? I said "if you can get a cabriolet, that"s my idea, but I want the car at once, so get a five if that's all you can get at once". And I know he will.

Dearest, the weather is rotten, it makes me feel punk. I don't know what it is, but I'm never have had it. Maybe approach of warm weather in disguise is doing it. The real reason is I don't see you often enough, Love sick I guess the movies call it.

With lots of love and kisses

I an Your
Joe

The next letter will be May 10

No comments:

Post a Comment