Wednesday, May 3, 2017

May 3, 1917 - I have several tentative ideas about the summer time already.

Here is the first of two letters for today. Joe is really moving along on the preparations for their new home. As this was his first home this must have been very exciting and perhaps overwhelming on top of his busy work schedule.



May 3,1917.

My dear:

I made that eleven fifteen by the smallest part of a fraction of a second, for I was very lucky in finding an express pulling into the subway station just as I arrived, and it was then three minutes after eleven. The Guard said it takes twelve minutes running time, but as a matter of fact we got to Grand Central just 14 minutes past, and you should have seen me in the weight reducing act of running up the stairs and way over to the other end of the station and onto the train just as the thing started into life, Bridgeport bound.

I'm going to Shelton and New Haven this afternoon, and will probably return for supper, but am not certain just yet. But I sure did have a bully time last night, and enjoyed my few minutes stay in the City after the afternoon's work immense­ly. It is more like a dream to me, especially when I think that we actually have begun to furnish up our home, with two frames and a tray already ordered.

I shall make it a point to look up the builder this P.M. and get a line on what he thinks cost etc. ought to be on that proposition that I mentioned to you. Also, am taking it up with the electrician for his estimate; and maybe will have you think up what kind of decorations you might like. The color scheme of the various rooms is one that can be considered so that we can have a good idea of just what is needed, and what fixtures should be ordered to match. I'll bet violet will predominate. You know my weakness for all those nice delicate shades; so govern yourself accordingly; but remember that I may get some ties to match.

Another thing that might be of interest, in the event that my ideas can be carried out, would be regarding the color of "the exterior of the house, if it was to be painted over to match the rest of the things; and since a garage will undoubtedly be built, the whole color scheme could be adapted to make everything nice and harmonious. What do you think?   What is your answer?

I have several tentative ideas about the summer time already. I am enclosing that circular that I flashed last night, intending to show it to you and then overlooked it. I haven't considered it but got it for observation to get some ideas of what could be done for a few weeks, if we felt that we ought to do something sometime in June, what date was that you mentioned?

But joking aside, I have some rather clear ideas of just what we'll do, and about where we'll-be for a little while, till things get into definite shape. That is something, isn't it?

Again I ran off without leaving the spondoolix (money or cash) for that tray-and I'm tickled all over about it-and the frames; so am enclosing it; and if there is any change, however little, have a good time on it till I can get around and take you out for a regular time.

In the meantime, I'11 not delay now but will start for the station and maybe to-night, if I get a chance will find time to write again. I'm simply terrible on the new machines, with all those mis-struck letters; but I'm out of practice.

With lots and lots of love etcetera, I am

Your
Joe

The second letter f for the day follows.

No comments:

Post a Comment