Sunday, April 30, 2017

April 30, 1917 - I passed the house, how my thoughts went "a roamin".

Here is the last letter from April and Joe is beginning to feel the reality of June approaching. His mind wandered but they stayed conservative an their behavior.





Monday afternoon

My sweetheart,

The day has been very muggy, cold and dreary. It rained all morning and it's threatening this afternoon. Furthermore I found the decision on my desk; so there is almost enough cause for me to be blue. And it is enhanced by the fact that you are not right here, where I can reach out to grab you, violently but tenderly withal.

And when I had my lunch today, I passed the desert, recalling what you would say.
And when returning from Shelton, as I passed the house, how my thoughts went "a roamin". Just imagine, there's the peachiest magnolia all in bloom in front.

Darling, as June nears, I begin to think more and more of the partnership we are to form. And do you know what seems to weigh a good deal? Why the deuce, (the best I can find is that this expression must have meant "why the hell") we haven't already started. But then, it’s best to go about marrying more or less conservatively, for we hope to be together a long time, and let us get started right. Wont it be grand to look back with one eye on the pleasant past and forward with the other on a brighter future? I’m just tickled, but not skinny, over the prospects.

Lots of talking for me this week. I make several small rural communities, to talk to farmers.

I have been asked to address the graduating class of the high school. The date is not certain but it’s the week of the 18th of June. I accepted conditionally, provided it is the 18th, but no other date. The principal told me to prepare a heart to heart talk of facing life by youngster as I have seen it, rather than the usual bromidic tales. (There’s your word!) What do you think? I told him what is supposed to happen on the next day, and he said “Well, we’ll get another speaker this year, I guess. You’re likely to give them a talk on marriage”.

With lots of love and kisses I am

Your

Joe

The next letters, one from Joe and one from his sister Clara, will be May 1

No comments:

Post a Comment