Wednesday, April 26, 2017

April 26, 1917 - You said that the only two places-in writing-where I appear to be affectionate, is in the opening and closing.

I guess Helen must have let Joe that Joe's letters were a bit dry and with little affection. Of course he responded with humor and a tinge of sarcasm. Below is a book cover from the writer Laura Jean Libbey that he mentions in his brief letter. His mention of the Christian evangelist, Billy Sunday, is comical.





April 26,1917.

My darling:
I have to smile as I get this introduction down, because last night you said that the only two places-in writing-where I appear to be affectionate, is in the opening and closing. Get it?

So, just as soon as I can get time, I'll go out to the bookstore and buy one of Laura Jean Libby's books, or some other best seller of more modern days, and copy eight or ten pages of junk about the starlight in your eyes, or should it be moonshine in my talk? Still, how do I know but what you would rather have me write in the style of Billy Sunday.

Until these new conditions do arise, perhaps it will be best that I pursue the even tenor (really "soprano") of my way, in the usual good old fashioned style. At least you do understand what I'm talking about.

Twoohat, as Barnet calls him, just came in and said he would take us out for dinner, so will stop rather abruptly, and to-night, when I return to make some briefs, will add a few more lines.

I think that Clara is going down with Stella about 12:46 arriving at 2:15 and will direct to your house. Stella must return home that night, and thinks that she will leave around eight o'clock. Knowing that we would not have any one for supper, I said nothing and she thinks she will go to some friends with Nat for supper, and then take the train. Maybe we should ask that she stay with us; but do not know their plans.

Lots of love, girlie, did you see me wave?
Your
Joe



 The next letter will be April 30

No comments:

Post a Comment