Wednesday, April 12, 2017

April 12, 1917 - I am getting two new typewritters. What do you think od that?

Busy Joe getting this out in the middle of the night. As you can see the post mark says April 13 at 2:30 A.M. It is still amazing to me how often the mail was picked up in 1917. Here is an illustration of the car that little Lucile knew about.








April 12,1917.

My dearest:

Here is some surprising news, so take it easy. I am getting two new typewriters. What do you think of that?

No, not girls, of course, but the instruments. I had a session this afternoon with typewriter men, and have decided the fact "ultimately, why not now" was a good one, and selected accordingly. Needless to say the girls are delighted, with the new wash-boards as Clara calls them.

Will you believe it that I haven't had any spare moments since I saw you last. The train ran in on time last night, and still I did not retire till after one. This day has been a real one, and now at eight thirty I am still in the office, where I expect to be till midnight at least. Three briefs must be finished before dawn, and believe me they will be, if it's all night. They are to be presented in the morning and I have yet to be late in Court with matters of this kind.

I haven't written on a machine so long that it seems strange, and I guess it will read about the same way. But you do not mind a little thing like that I hope.

The folks have all gone to Treasure Island to-night, and I received an "invite". I still recall entering the schule in the second act.

Barnet was watching his mother write a letter. I said that it reminded me that I had to get one out too. Barnet said "I just can guess who too ---- Aunt Helen." And then he proceeded to show me that he knew ten different telephone numbers by heart, and could name eight different autos, Lucile got as far as Lyon Knight and stopped, and Myra chimed in by saying she wanted to ride on the "font" seat, with “Twoohart”.

I wish that you were here just now. I know that you could give me a lot of help. I have so many books and papers all around that you could help me file away, then sort out, and then get ready for the typists use, by arranging the pages, setting up the paragraphs, punctuation etc. etc. And I believe in arguing with you, I would get a different view on some of the matters.

Just another thought and I must get to work. I have just had a twenty-minute talk over the wire with my friend in Shelton, whom I gave a little absent treatment, and he is very anxious to know what I'll do, but has not decided himself just when he wishes to vacate. I have told him repeatedly that he must absolutely give me a definite date when I could take possession before I would even consider the matter, for what's the use if he desires to stay in till next Fall. So he said tomorrow at three he would call me.

I wish I had more time to write just now, but dear, the night is rushing on, and there is a pile of work ahead. Will you excuse me now? I'll write much more tomorrow, really and tell you of mv plans for Saturday. Now I’m thinking of staying here till the late train and getting in around six or so, as long as you’ll be out; what do you say? With love, your

JOE

The next letter is April 13

No comments:

Post a Comment