Wednesday, April 5, 2017

April 5, 1917 - Dearest little lover of chop suey

This is a strange letter for me because it starts out talking  in a way one may have talked 100 years ago but Joe would never talk like that today.
I say this because my promise to myself was to post the letters unedited. So, take some of the expressions for what they may have been 100 years ago.




Thursday afternoon

Dearest little lover of chop suey,

I am kind of sorry that I didn’t comply with your suggestion to go out for some of that Chinese gefilte fish; but was too comfortable and wanted just you and not some almond eyed Mongolian butting in; so I imagine you won’t mind, will you.

I just heard by phone from Louis. He said that he expected to have Friday evening off, and wanted to know whether I intended going to New York then I told him that I expected to be there and that he could call tomorrow and you might know what my plans are.

I heard that Bernard M. Kaplan Secretary of the District Grand Lodge No. 1 of the Bnai Brith, will conduct Seder service at Bnai Brith headquarters tomorrow night. I presume many of the synagogues are doing the same thing; and didn’t know whether you and Florence and Louis and I might not attend one. It is up to you to decide, and I’ll leave it with you.

If you do decide to go, you might phone to Independent Order Bnai Brith headquarters and make reservations. Perhaps it might be good to know whether ladies will be present.
Or perhaps you would stay at home for dinner. I really have no choice.

I am feeling fairly well today; but do you know that I was a sick Indian yistiddy? Your presence sure did cheer me up and bring me to again, so I’m up and being me to again, so I’m trying to think I’m getting near Friday very soon.

Oh dearie, please call up the Yale Club and have them reserve for me for Friday night. My Saturday night is taken care of already. I’ll give you the nickle for the call later. Or maybe I’ll buy you a “sody”. Who know?

Listen; I just thought, did I ever pay you for Nettie’s tickets? I can’t recall it, and want to be clear “on the books”, if not.

Do you want to try to get tickets for the “Opry” for Saturday matinee? Go to it, use your judgement and I’ll attend the mere details when I see you.
I have a case to try presently and so am not concerning myself too much on other dates beyond, realizing that you are some little fixer yourself.

With lots of lot and kisses

I am
Your
Joe

The next letter is April 9

No comments:

Post a Comment