Sunday, April 23, 2017

April 23, 1917 - I had two brand new Underwoods installed in the office

Big news for the day - new typewriters. You will see that the letters are much improved. Here is a photo of what it may have loked like.







April 23,1917.

My darling:
Can you imagine Just what I am writing on now, other than a typewriter? This afternoon, about five, I had two brand new Underwoods installed in the office, and I feel as happy about them as a little boy does with a new toy.

Of course it goes without saying, that the girls in the office feel as jubilant as we do, for while the other machines were very good, and stood the test of time was about time that we got new ones; and we did. Really, since you know this, doesn't the type look much clearer, and more straight than ever before? They are the last word in the latest model. I wish you were here to see them; in fact I have determined to get you one when the occasion shall arrive in futuro where it will be con­venient for you to have one around the house, for you corres­pondence etc. 'Member what I promised you?

So much for typewriters. I had a very busy day. Early this morning-six sharp. I was up, at seven on the car to town, and at seven thirty on the road; but just as I got comfortably seated in the trolley, I had the pleasure of hearing an auto toot for me, and found that Mayor Kneen spotted me and then we went to Shelton together in his new Cadillac. And it is some car.

To-night on the eve of a trial for commission growing out of a real estate case, I am naturally looking up the law and getting familiar with all the various angles than can possibly arise, so far as I can anticipate them at present.

When I returned to the office this noon, I found a letter from Gov. Holcomb, of this State, asking me to go to Hartford on Wednesday morning to attend a conference in reference to the present state of preparedness in Connecticut etc. and naturally enough I shall obey the request, unless the trial that I start tomorrow runs into the next day, in which event I'll phone him about it.

Charles is in New York again to-night, attending a con­ference of the same committee that met with Mr. Rosenwald last Sunday. Golly, how I wish that it was I that could have gone.

For the first time, in a good long time, that taxi really moved along and got me to the station at five or six minutes ahead of time, and I would have phoned were it not for the fact that the folks are so easily aroused from their slumbers, and perhaps you would not have the heard the call in time for me to have said much or to have told you anything other than good night; yet those few words would have been worth while, don't you think so?

I shall try to retire early. Oh yes. I'll bet that you are to remind me in your letter tomorrow about that crazy suit you want me to wear; but late this afternoon I went to the store tried it on, it fit to a T, and I have yet to decide, tho I told the man that I'd be in in the morning.

Now, little girl, take an old man's advice and retire early tomorrow night. We have a very important meeting of the lodge and I feel that I ought to be present, so in as much as you said that you were not going to the Met. it would be very wise for to hit the hay at a seasonable hour; more than I anticipate doing myself.

Clara in in raptures at the thought of actually going to New York and being away for two days. As Florence would say: "My goodness."

Isn't it too bad that Mme. Sarah B. is so low? What a pity, for one who means so much to the world. I felt very sorry to-night as I read the articles, and am now very anxious to hear that she has really recovered once more.

Tempus fugit, meaning that if this letter is to get to you by morning, it is up to me to stop and get it into the box. Now which would you rather have, a longer letter and later, or this much in the morning? I know the answer. This much in the morning, and a longer one later in the day. Hoe abote it?

All mothers must be under the weather. Mine, last night, had both of her knees powerfully painful and terribly swollen. Louis bandaged them up. I cannot think what it can be; but the old girl to-day called up and said she was feeling better. Poor dear it is awful far her to be home all alone during the day, especially now in the spring with her gardens to look after and all that, and it requires considerable running around. But such is life, I suppose.

However, there are books in front of me that demand attention and this is a pretty good time to stop. With lots of love and kisses, till we meet again, very soon,
I am Your
Joe



Here is what Mayor Kneen's Cadillac may have looked like.


 The next letter is April 26


No comments:

Post a Comment