Thursday, April 13, 2017

April 13, 1917 - You know it is still Passover, and so far haven't broken the faith, such as it is.

Here is the follow up letter to the one Joe wrote later yesterday night.The first mention that they observed Passover. Also his mention of Friday the 13th. He was certainly proud of the direction his career was taking.





April 13,1917.

My dearest:

I really do not know just when that letter I posted last night reached you, for it was very late when I retired from the office. And it is almost as late again to-night, but I hope this gets to you in the early mail, as it should.

I had another chat-but only for a moment-with the man that owns the little house in Shelton, and we have an appointment for tomorrow Saturday-afternoon-to meet in my office here, and see what's what. Of course, I expect to get away around 4:10 or 4:40, and he may not arrive till that time but if he does, perhaps I'll know the result by the time I get to New York, who knows?

You are out for the afternoon, and perhaps I'll arrange things so that I will leave a little later than usual, but it is difficult just now to say. I feel that I'd like to be able to close the deal so that I can bring you good news, and you know that I'll try. The main matter now is just when he would let me take possession, for if not very soon, I should not even consider it; what say you?

This was a very good day, in spite of the fact that it is Friday the thirteenth. I think the most important case I ever tackled came off to-day, and I tried it single handed, even to the point of preparing my own briefs, gathering the data, and making the argument that lasted for nearly two and one half hours.

As is usual the decision is reserved by the Court, who looks up the matter on his own accord, and studies it out, and then de­cides as he finds the law on the facts warrant. Sometimes we may obtain the decision in a day or two, and sometimes longer, all depending on the merits of the matter, that is whether it is involved and intricate or simple. (Notice the mis-struck letters-I'm not used to using the machines, now that we have two fine girls at them). For that matter I never was much at typewriting, don’t you think?

But the case went along splendidly, and it came out better in the presentation than I really expected it would. I got quite a few pats for the clearness of the spiel etc. so the day started out right. Here's a joke. That 13 dinner to-night never was. Mr. Kneen the host was called to Boston yesterday on an important matter, and could not return, so we all agreed that we would adjourn it till sometime next week, when we could all agree. I was tickled because you know it is still Passover, and so far haven't broken the faith, such as it is. In fact I had a banquet of the Yale Alumni last night, but stayed in and worked,t hat being one of the reasons. So I've tried to be as good as you would have me, and leave the results in your hands.

Perhaps I am not reducing as fast as you would like, but one of the judges said to me to-day that I ought to get married or do something, for I needed someone to feed me up, for I was getting terribly thin. Zowie, I didn't think I looked that bad. I had on a blue serge suit that is rather a tight model, and perhaps it was rather deceptive.

Of course you are interested to know that Mrs. Tabs has three kittens, two jet black, and one just like herself. Mr. Tom Kat is a rather proud uncle, for when I went to the barrel where the young uns are resting, he walked along, and kind of looked happy-like, like one who understands cats can read in their feline countenances.

When I finished my case this noon, I received a flattering invitation to dinner at the University Club, but outside of the fact that this is the holiday season, since I've had the idea drummed into my head to reduce, and that I was becoming the rival of the late Bunny, eats don't look as good to me as of yore. I do not know just what it is, but in the recent past I could think ahead at a meal with a relish, and lick my chops-at it were-but that is gone. Eats to me are now what washing the hair is to a woman, a necessity, with apologies afterward. And to make matters worse, Billy Sunday says a bath is only temporary. You would think it instantaneous and disappearing if you saw the kids this afternoon, when they came in from the garden.

I shall try to get this in the mail before the last train goes, so will conserve paper, and rush on to the conclusion, whatever that is.

I received a copy of Dr. Wise's address on the Russian Revolution, and it is a dandy. Will take it along, if it is handy. And will also take along a cake that mother had fussed about for several days and has just gotten ready. I hope it does not smell too savory, for temptation to open the package and sample it is rather great.

Here is hoping you enjoy the walk and tea with your highbrow friends. Wont you feel gay and care-free to have a Saturday after­noon off from the little fat man from the country?

With lots of love, and several wireless kisses, the wireless have been sealed up, I am
Your
Joe

The next letter is April 18

No comments:

Post a Comment