Thursday, April 20, 2017

April 20, 1917 - Charles, mother, Clara and the doctor went to Shelton to look over the house.

It looks like things are ramping up on getting a place to live. Of course as a first time house buyer Joe is faced with some harsh reality. At this point he has only heard about the house he may purchase; he has not been there yet. I guess he was too busy working. It appears to have become a family affair.





Friday evening.
Darling:
Once again, in fact every night this week(but Monday) at the office.

We had quite a session last night. We were at it till nearly midnight; and at the hearing this morning what do you think happened?   It was a suit against the man I was asked to defend at the last minute, nearly, for a little over $18,000.00 and when we got through, well what happened?   We beat him hands down, as it were. Our books were so accurately kept, and our evidence was so clear, that it did not require much more than a clear presentation to prove it. As one of the newspaper reporters said to me "Gee, you are a lucky dog, here is a perfect­ly easy case, and you get on the right side at the last minute, and put it away on ice”.   Of course, he did not know that it took me practically all night, to get the pages in chronological order so that the evidence could easily be referred to, having made an index of my own for easy reference, and had to wade through a mass of bills and letters to get everything in a clear and understandable manner.

This machine has not been working right of late, and I guess it will land in the junk heap if it doesn't look out.
If you ever want to tackle anything hard, try to adjust a bunch of old claims ranging back about twelve years that have become a running account, with all kinds of debits and credits, with discounts, interest, and returns, and if at the end of the day you are not blind or woozy, you are made of steel.

Last night, Charles, mother, Clara and the doctor went to Shelton to look over the house, and also see if they could close the deal. Upon their return, late, I was told that the main obstacle is the time when I could actually take possession, though there was also some talk about the price but the main thing is the time. After spending the night, I understand Charles told him we would not consider it unless we actually could have it to be in by June 1st. And he said he would talk it over with his wife, and be down tomorrow(Saturday)afternoon about it and let us know what he finally decided.

As I was thinking about it this evening, in going over the matter with Charles, preparatory to being in a position to know just what to talk about tomorrow when he arrives, we dis­covered, although we knew it before, that if we can get this place, it is going to require quite a bunch of real “green”. While the house is completed, there are several important things still needed, such as grading the grounds, planting a suitable hedge, building a garage, laying a cement walk in front of the house, and installing some real electric light fixtures that would be suitable for our use. I have not been under the roof yet so do not know just what the house is like, but Stella, Charles, Clara and mother all unite in saying that it is built a la The Ladies Home Journal; in other words it is a seven or eight room bungalow of two floors with three rooms on the first floor, four on the second, and one or two in the attic, suitable for a maid etc. The woodwork in all the rooms, as I understand but am not sure, except the kitchen, is white enamel, with mahogany trimmings, and hard wood floors throughout. There is a real fire place in one of the living rooms.

The family have only been in possession for about two or three weeks, it being just completed, as far as I have out­lined. The walls are all white at present, because the builders say it is well to allow the house to remain that way all summer to give it a chance to settle, and then if desired it could be papered. Charles says the place is very pretty, and wants me to arrange to have you come and see it, just as soon as we can get anywhere near together in the deal. I'll tell you more tomorrow, when in New York.

I learned to-day that I have two cases on in Shelton in the morning, and so will not be able to get down as early as I thought. I have already changed my appointments to next week. And now as I see it I'll go to Shelton in the machine and return along about eleven or so. At least I'll try to get back by noon so that I can take the 12:46 or 12:55 or 1:03 arriving in N.Y. 2:15 or 2:19 or 2:37 respectively, taking one of those and the earliest at that if possible. Now then, I presume it will be convenient for you to meet me at the station, so that we can go direct to Carnegie Hall.   Let me add this, in case of emergency only; in the event that I should not be able to take either of these so that I would then arrive around three, don't wait but leave the ticket in Carnegie Ticket office and I'll call for it. Or if I do arrive on these trains, as I feel I shall on one of the three named, and I do not see you there, I'll feel that you could not come down, and will go right to Carnegie and to the ticket office. Is that clear?

I  hope that I don't have to use up all the available cash so that there may be a little left for some kind of honeymoon, and perhaps a chair or in case no one thinks of passing them over with that pianner (piano) that you were promised, and the Victrola that is most hopeless.
With love and kisses,
I am
Your
Joe


The next letter is April 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment