Tuesday, April 18, 2017

April 18, 1917 - Again I am work on a paradoxical mission, preparing a long “brief”.

A long wandering letter. Perhaps it comes off that way because of the glass of wine Joe had before he sat down to write. The envelope says April 19 because it was sent in the middle of the night.







Wednesday evening.

Darling?

I at one time told you that it is not always well to disclose plane half executed nor to tell of undertakings while they are in the making, because if they should be changed no matter how, there is likely to be disappointment. Yet, knowing your optimistic abilities, and risking a chance again, shall I tip you off to some­thing good? Just remember that what I say now is not an iron clad accomplishment, fully completed. It is only now in the works, as you might say. With this slight preamble, I feel safe in going ahead with my story.

Do you remember when at school, in the debating contests, or when there were orations delivered in competition for some prize or trophy, when the judges retired to deliberate, and after being out about an hour(they could decide right from their seats a la Lew Fields the other night)returned and in a drawl, some tall, thin, almost emaciated fellow somewhere about sixty, would in a monotonous tone begin to explain the difficulty they had in deciding the best one, (the typewriter roll slipped)and after a lot more of that kind of bunk finally got to the place where he was ready to make the announce­ment, and as you were about disgusted and ready to quit he decided?
Do you remember that? This, by the way, is a hypocritical question, the kind you frequently read about in the papers in famous trials. (There is something the matter with the machine tonight.)

I’11 bet you are almost disgusted with the way I have been stringing along this much of the letter, aren’t you? Notice that the question mark is receiving plenty of exercise?

Well, at last here is what I started out to tell. Why didn't you skip over to here?   Charles received a phone call from our friend in Shelton to-night, at the dinner table, and has made an appointment to see him tomorrow night at home; and I think from the manner of their talk this evening that something very definite and favorable will result after the next conference. I have a pretty strong belief that the way they are now talking that the matter may be settled, and by the time I see you Saturday, I'll be in a position to laugh at some of our friends who think that they have been joshing you. (I’m positively ashamed at my typewriting to-night.) Do you know what I am thinking of? Well, it is the fact, based upon the hope that we might close that deal this week, that next Saturday at your "bachelor" dinner, that you might be able to announce to your friends that they must hurry and look at all the nice things you have, and leave those they have brought along, for you want to get to bed early for on the morrow you are to get up early to go to Shelton to look at your place and see just what you'll need. I had a little wine for dinner to-night, only a drop, and it seems that it is working, don't you think?

Are you remembering that I said something in the first para­graph that is well to keep in mind as you read the last one!

So far as Saturday is concerned, I have found that Charles has made two appointments for me, one at about 11:30 and the other for noon. Whether these will keep me downtown during the lunch hour I do not know but believe they will. At any rate I'll call you up when I get to the City, and tell you or leave word at the house just when and where I can meet you to take in the concert.

In last night's papers I saw that the British bombarded a French town -Tombois - and wondered whether that was a misprint. Now that I think of it, it was not the name of a town, but of an old castle and large estate. The place was burned down by the retreating Germans or something to that effect. So that Tombois could have been burned while Dombois played. With all the sar­casm that Lillian could put into it, I can hear you mumble "how disgusting".

Again I am work on a paradoxical mission, preparing a long “brief”.

News from the front. I understand that Stella will be down a week from Saturday to your party, and will stay for the night at a hotel with her husband, who expects to have a General Committee meeting that night, and will go to Temple with us in the morning, and have dinner on Sunday at your house, if you so will it. I invited her to go to the show with us Saturday night, but she and Nat and Gus are going out visiting friends instead. Clara has not said much about going down as yet, being very busy in the office, and not really getting a chance to talk to me for any length of time.

Well, girlie, this letter contains a few ideas that ought to make you smile (especially the punk looks of this letter)but I cannot be too fussy just now.

I am so sorry that I cannot be in New York to-night, but there is no use in crying over the broken milk bottle.

With lots of love and kisses, I am

Your
Joe

The next letter is April 19

No comments:

Post a Comment