Tuesday, January 31, 2017

January 31, 1917 - The tail is longer than the cat.

Here is the last letter in January and charming and witty as always.



Wednesday noon.

Dearie:

The girls are out for lunch, and I am all alone in the office at present. What's the idea that you are not here more often anyway, huh? Of course you will blame me and say that if I want you here, it is up to me to have you come; I know all that.

I expect to go to Shelton this afternoon, and may be able to get some good news of progress; at least I am optimistic enough to feel that way just now.

I am kind of sorry that you are to be out calling to­night, for I would really have gone to New York to see you. This is a rather peculiar week in that I have all my evenings free but since Charles and also perhaps Stella leave for Buffalo Friday night I should not think of going away then. Still I will get to New York Saturday night, and stay till Sunday, so it is not so *gefaerlich, is it?
One of the phone connections is not   working just as it should, and one of the men is about to come in and take down the whole apparatus, so at a more opportune time I'll write again.

Clara gave me a big smile to-day, when she told me that "I got a letter from Helen, but you didn't, what do you think of that?" And oh, yes, mother had your picture and Stella's framed in pretty thin gold frames, and where do you suppose she will hang them?   I haven't talked to Tommy yet, so do not know.

With lots of love and a couple of those mental kisses that you have become so adept at sending lately,
I am Your
Joe

N.B.   Just as I was about to seal your letter, I received an invitation to attend a banquet of the Shelton Fire Department tomorrow night, and in all probability, if present will be called on for a few words. That takes up at least one evening before Saturday.

Of course, next Tuesday is the big time at Hartford, and I'll be there Tuesday night, Wednesday and Thursday, returning Thursday evening. Tuesday night we have the annual banquet. A short time later we have our Bar banquet, and shortly after our Bnai Brith Ball at the Stratfield. By the way, may I have the pleasure of your presence and presents that evening? I did not know whether to formally invite you or not, but do so for fear you might get a previous bid-if you dare.
The tail is longer than the cat; so the postscript is longer than the letter.

*gefaerlich Dangerous in German

The next letter is February 1

No comments:

Post a Comment