Sunday, January 15, 2017

Janusry 15, 1916 - "had a wonderful opportunity to see the sun rise through snow laden clouds."

Looks like they engaged couple is getting gifts - Enjoy this letter.




Monday afternoon about six.

Dearest girl:

I am very curious to know just how you are feeling to-day, after the family discussion on how to bring up a family, or if put in proper language, why everybody should mind their own business and not but in.

I arrived about two, and was on the car this morning at seven, so had a wonderful opportunity to see the sun rise through snow laden clouds that have finally begun to unload themselves, and before morning, I fear, there will be a large walk to clear. Ha, ha, that may help to reduce that *embonpoint, if that is what prevents me from dancing a la Vernon Castle.

Listen girlie, D. M. Read's just called me and asked for the name of "your fiancĂ©". So I told the man. He asked the address. Even with my green eyes I didn't get jealous, but a bit curious. So he said that several days ago, they on the orders of Mrs. Dolgoff sent something to you but Adams Express could not locate it-the address. Finally when I gave it, he discovered that it was shipped to 54 West 111th Street, 5 F, and there is no "sich animeel”. He immediately wrote that it was 545, and maybe Wednes­day you will receive it. Strictly confidential, I understand it is a sewing table, whatever that is. If I knew anything about household bric-a-brac I might be able to describe an eclipse, but being in dense ignorance cannot tell any more about it now. Perhaps your next letter will describe it to me.

The new steno arrived this morning on schedule time, and for the first day did very nicely. Her manner indicates that she seems suited to her duties, and she has made some impression on Clara so that if the two girls agree, and can get out the work, our troubles in that direction are at least solved. Here's hoping the next day is the sane. It was rather refreshing to be able to dictate to a girl and get on paper exactly what you said hours before, And in a manner that looked readable. What was that you said about euphonious names, with the accent on phony?

The Supreme Court of the State convenes in New Haven tomorrow, and with several cases on, will probably be there for a couple of days, returning to Bridgeport in the afternoons to keep up with my office work as much as possible. I wish that you were here, because you could accompany me on my journey and by your presence (not presents) inspire me to put forth my best efforts, such as they are, instead of my being content with a few pages of your writing.

Charles and Stella leave Bridgeport for Buffalo on Friday February 2nd, and return the following Monday night. In the meantime they will take a side trip to the Falls, and also to East Aurora. Upon their return I leave for Hartford to be away to a convention three days, returning in time to be in New York. Oh yes, I heard rumors of something good in Shelton to-day, but I'm on my old manners now, and wont say a word till I'm positive.

With stacks of love and a submarine boat full of kisses
I am Yours,
Joe
I almost forgot to sign, See over
Barnet called this afternoon and asked me if I was coming home for supper. He asked me if I saw you yesterday and if so what did you say, and when are you coming again and all about it. And all the time I could hear that little shaver Myra mumbling - about a sentence behind Barnet.

*embonpoint means the plump or fleshy part of a person's body.

The next letter is January 16. 

No comments:

Post a Comment