Wednesday, January 4, 2017

January 4, 1917 - At present, I am waiting in the lobby for my case to be reached.

Joe found the time to write to Helen where ever he was. He really did not miss an opportunity to sit idle.  So here is a letter that he wrote as he waited to go into the courtroom. He must have been practicing because he was doing a bit of convincing in this letter.



Thursday the fourth
My dear,

As I was starting for court this morning, I was handed a heavy letter and read it on the way up street. As I entered the building, I happened to meet one of the big men of Greenwich, who is quite prominent and active there, and I asked him concerning Mr. Latz or Letz. He stated that he was not acquainted with such a party, nor did he know of him. Of course, I was unable to tell him what business he was in, so received no information.

If you could give me his address or his business, perhaps I could assist you, but you are undoubtedly aware, that there are thousands of men who reside only in Greenwich, and have their business in New York, and consequently it would require a little more particularity for me to be able to make the inquiry.

At present, I am waiting in the lobby for my case to be reached. This is an opportune time to drop you a line, and so I do it.
If you get a convenient chance to run up to see Nat good; otherwise, of course, you cannot. I realize that it is a long trip, but perhaps if you get a chance to make it, to try and do so, at least once, while she is there.

You know, dear, that as hard as it may be to do a thing, it is much more difficult to try to explain why it was not done. Get me?

Now the time is rapidly approaching for me to start in at work. The case ahead of mine is just ending; and I must get my papers out and ready to start at once.
I'll probably take the customary 4:10 Saturday, arriving at 5:36, if on time; and really do not think it necessary for you to come away downtown to meet me, unless you happen to be at or near that vicinity. I know that you will have the dressmaker all morning  and will probably be pretty well tired out and in no mood to wander down town. And further, I can jump on the subway and get to your home in 12 or 15 minutes.

Undoubtedly I'll receive another letter, or letters from you before Saturday.

With love and kisses I am
As ever yours,
Joe

The next letter is January 11

No comments:

Post a Comment