Wednesday, January 11, 2017

January 11, 1917 - Dearie, I am so lonesome today. Why, in heaven's name did you go back?

Almost half way thru a letter packed month. It looks like Helen was making plans for her wedding dress with her dressmaker.





January 11, 1917
My dearest lil girl,

I was so sorry not to have been able to accompany you to the depot this morning, but you know just how it occurred. At the High School, in the presence of the entire commercial class, I had the privilege of speaking from 8:45 to 9:30.

Helen dear, I do actually wish you were present. Greeted by some teachers whom I haven't actually met for seventeen years, just imagine, who, as one said, was a little dark, punny boy in knee pants, with a large mass of flowing black hair, and now a man, no longer with the hair of old., but with a large mass of stomach, in a tailored suit, but still a boy, for isn't he just full of fun? Of course I told them a few stories, and that was the clincher, that made a hit.

As I stood in the center of the large stage of that very large auditorium, filled with students and a number standing, the air simply was alive with ideas. I started by kidding the teachers, there were several beautiful ones of the younger set; one came and she said she was a classmate of Stella's, another remembered me as one of the boys in her class, she sitting back of me as a classmate in those days. And then I used a little of Elbert Hubbard as an entree, especially some epigrams, and by that time warmed up into a flowing talk so that when the period was up I had really been going strong.
You can imagine what a wonderful opportunity presents itself when you talk to students. They are unfamiliar with lots of things that are old and threadbare to us, and telling them "twice told tales" arouses new enthusiasm. The students were in a receptive mood and were very inspiring. At the conclusion the applause was, well, what's the use of tooting my horn. I have one on my machine and that is coupled again.

Hubbard was a wonder, if he did no more than inspire fellows to read; and if they read no more than his "stuff".

Dearie, I am so lonesome today. Why, in heaven's name did you go back? My goodness, since when do we have to conform to the dates of those who do our work? I presume we must as society is constituted, but it does seem so hard to think that your tailor should select a day like today and make you leave here suddenly.

The Yale Club has written that the 19th is strictly and exclusively stag, in every detail.
But I will probably come down Friday night to be with you and the folks. I'll see you Saturday and tell you of my plans for the next week.

I rather talked myself out this morning., and will not take up much more space at this time.
I have been hearing some highly complimentary remarks about you from the people whom you met. It seems evident that I made a very wise and choice selection. How I wish I could say that for you, although I really do think it (if you allowed me to be egotistical for the once.)

The Supreme Court convenes Tuesday and I will then go to New Haven for a couple of days; that is returning each evening till I have concluded; which may be by Thursday.
Do you realize that this is the first week in a long time that I haven't received a single letter from you?  Still I have hopes, as these are two or three more days remaining. But better, yet, I'll see you Saturday.

I shall leave on the 2:03 arriving at Grand Central about 3:28. Should I miss that train, I'll take the next one 2:40 arriving about 4:11; but I'll be on the first one, I am confident.

Please inquire from Cousin Clara about whether she expects me Saturday evening I can then make plans accordingly.

And now with love to the folks and lots to you, intermingled with kisses
I am
Your
Joe

The next letter is January 15

No comments:

Post a Comment