Monday, January 23, 2017

January 23, 1917 - I know that you have been waiting for my letter

Here is letter which shows how busy Joe's life was becoming. Lots of work is good for a young man planning to marry.






Tuesday

My darling,

I know that you have been waiting for my letter, but several matters arose that made me delay. In the first place, I am actually negotiating about a house, and expected to have some positive information today, but deem it best to write now, tho I haven't heard yet.

This noon Mayor Keen came to Bridgeport to see me and stated that he was informed by one of the prominent Seymour men that they would like to retain me to advise them regarding a borough form of government, that a special town meeting was called for Wednesday night in Seymour, and that they would like to have me present. That puts a spike into my New York trip. I know that you will say how about Thursday etc. Not only that night, but our Board of Alderman are to have a special meeting Friday night, and the Mayor suggested that I attend also. However, I have made two engagements for Saturday morning at 7:40 arriving in New York about 9:15, probably complete my work by noon, and then be free. How's that?

The case that I was to try this morning was settled, my opponent paying up just before I got started. I have another for tomorrow and still another for Thursday all ready for trial.

If it wasn't that Aunt Nat returns here Thursday I'd talk of having you come down; but then, you said yourself that the more you see of me, the lonesomer you are when I leave. At lease you won't be lonesome Thursday morning, if that is any consolation for my inability to get to New York. And say, I think it's lucky we couldn't get tickets for Friday.

You know dear, my week so far has been very pleasant having had a really quiet and good time Sunday in Mount Vernon. And I think how nice it worked out that we had an auto trip back to the city and your home.

Last night Charles installed the officers of the Ladies Hebrew Aid Society of the Temple, and among whom Stella is vice-president. Isn't that quite interesting. I wonder how my darling would feel if she were thus honored, huh? By the office I mean, not the installation, of course.
It is rather difficult for me to write this way. But the typewriters are busy, and this is the best at present. I hope you can read the hieroglyphics.

By the bye, how is Lill-yan? When I say it my mouth should be near my left ear.
The Sheriff and several Sheltonites inquired what that "pretty girl of yourn" is coming to town.

One lady actually asked me for your full name as she wanted to propose you for membership in some lodge, I don't know which; but I wouldn't tell her, for I think I'll go rather carefully on booking up your evenings elsewhere than home, what do you say?

With lots of love I am
Your,
Joe

The next letter is January 25

No comments:

Post a Comment