Thursday, January 26, 2017

January 26, 1917 - I'm writing with a pen that works more like a potato masher

Here is the promised letter from the letter Joe wrote earlier in the day. Funny and charming as usual. With new expressions of Joe's to learn.





Thursday night

My darling,

About eight tonight I spoke to your mother and was informed that you had gone to Freeport for the night with Pauline. I was quite tempted to call you; but thought that in the event that you might be to theatre or out calling, and on your return learned that Bridgeport wanted you, it might give you a chance to worry or puzzle what's up.

So I stayed in the office till near ten, and then received a call from Charles that they had company and to come over and help entertain. And I'm here now. Stella and Nat are now singing in duet.
And I'm writing with a pen that works more like a potato masher, if you know what that is.
"Ye gads it doth amaze me" as Willie Shakespeare would have explained.
(Julius Caesar Act 1, Scene 2)

Company has just left, and the girls are still at music, oh music, what crimes are committed in thy name! I heard a high G just now. Zowie, that's all I dare say on paper.
As I still anticipate, I shall leave on the 7:40 A.M. Saturday morning arriving about 9:15 or so; and have two appointments, then have the day for myself, no I guess not, for you I mean.

So, *efsher, we might have lunch dun tun and take in a matinee, and this eliminates the need or desire that you have to go to theatre Saturday nights. How about it?
It doesn't matter much when I mail this for you wont return home till late tomorrow (Friday) anyway.

So, dearie, I am making good my threat earlier in the day, **viz; to write again. I haven't done so as often as i wished or thought of you, nay, not even half or a tithe of the number of times I spoke about you.

With love,

I am Your
Joe

*efsher is Yiddish for maybe or perhaps
** viz. in other words

The next letter is January 28

No comments:

Post a Comment