Wednesday, January 25, 2017

January 25, 1917 - Education is the only thing once you have, you cannot lose.

Here is a quick note with what looks like a change in plans. Joe invites his brother and sister in law to Helen's for dinner. And he gives free advise about Helen's 17 year old sister, Lillie.





Thursday
My darling,

Good news, listen! Charles & Stella will attend some affair Saturday night and another Sunday morning, and I have taken the "Chutzbah" to invite them to your house for dinner. They at first demurred, saying they wanted to get home,because they go to Buffalo the following week, but I think I have persuaded them to stay for dinner and they can return around four or so.

Nat returns today; and I don't know what new plans Stella has for Sunday, but am now writing on what I know at this sitting.

Bad news, listen! Clara has been home for two days with a bad cold, and the doctor told her to stay in a couple of days. But she is feeling pretty good at that, yet you know how that ties us up at the office. The new girl is doing very well, and that is some relief; of course, just now.

I don't know whether you'll believe it, but I felt rather blue last night when in Seymour, because I know just where I should have been and wanted to be too. And tonight, I'd like to just reach out and grab you, roughly as perhaps it seems, but you know I'm no Romeo, and I guess Dr. Crane's article this morning on the heredity of our ancestral instincts occasionally breaks out.

Several years ago, if I had occupied the same relation, I might have become agitated at the idea of Lillie's leaving school. But not now. Why should it give me any real concern, since I wasn't asked about it, nor should I have been. Personally I think it a pity that in the only nation in the world where one can get a liberal education free of charge, in the best schools possible, with every convenience to throw it lightly away. Education is the only thing once you have, you cannot lose. It is the only thing that differentiates the strata of society, money and influence not withstanding.

But why moralize. You've got the right idea, and so has your mother. That makes me happy, to think that we agree on such vital matters.

I must hurry out on a call.. Will write tonight.
Lovingly,
Joe

The next letter is January 26

No comments:

Post a Comment