Monday, January 16, 2017

January 16, 1917 - Briefs to carry in my noodle.

The title of this post suggest that Joe worked to remember what he had to say in court. He did have a photographic memory, so that was not as hard for him as it would have been for someone else. I do not think he had any concept of not being able to remember everything.




Tuesday

My darling
The case in which I am interested before the Supreme Court are assigned for tomorrow, and I begin at ten o'clock. That gives me this day to attend to other things. In accordance with your wishes, in the same mail as your letter, I received notice of a decision in our favor. I will not write you tomorrow, for you know that being in New Haven with briefs to carry in my noodle, and also Thursday, there probably will not be time to write; but of course you never can tell. However that should not prevent you from doing so should you feel inclined that way.

There is no question now in my mind out that I will be in New York Friday evening, and will stay over till Sunday as usual, with this exception, that I must leave on the 11:15. It’s too much of  a  strain to pull into Bridgeport around two o'clock and be ready for Court the next morning at nine, necessitating my getting up about six; and I know that you will think favorably of my taking the 11:15 as of yore.
Also bear in mind that I do not expect you at the depot, for perhaps I will hop off at 125th Street and thus get to you earlier than by the down town route I am so accustomed to.

As I recall it, the minstrel show is Saturday night, is that nicht war? And I really did not care whether it was formal or not this time, for I will wear that fools dress suit three times this week, so another would make little difference. In fact I will have to don him to-night at a lodge function, again tomorrow night, and again Thursday, at the banquet of the Derby Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade at which Mayor Kneen will preside as president.

Time do move-as the darky says it- for here we are in the middle of January, and besides I am on the road to old age.

Charles just called and asked me to go on an errand for him, that will take a good part of the afternoon, before the work is completed, so will give you the rest you are entitled to at once.

With heaps of love and kisses,
I am Your
Joe

The next letter will be January 23.




No comments:

Post a Comment