Monday, January 2, 2017

January 2, 1917 - Yesterday is a dream. I had a most glorious time.

Here is a 2 part letter from Joe. He and Helen must have spent New Years Eve at the home of her parents in NYC. Nice letter to start off the year.



 This must have been an afterthought.


January 2, 1917

Dearest girl,

How wonderful we must be. Dante was willing to sacrifice life, name, future, eternity for one hour with Beatrice. Yet we may look forward to hours, days, years, together, becoming more attached by the minute, and able to look time squarely in the face and smile.

Do you (know) the saddest minutes of my visits? Those few while waiting for the elevator or as you stay in the doorway waving "good-night". But the rest of the time has been so glorious that a few moments like that emphasize the value of it all. The contrast is so impressive.
Tonight I have a meeting, and tomorrow night the new Board of Aldermen meet for a member of important matters.

Yesterday is a dream. I had a most glorious time. Slept like a top, up at 7. took the train and slept another hour, and now at work.

But wasn't it great that we could all be together, home. It was so much better than dining out. And your father and mother were right in it. That is one of the best things. Keep them young and with us all the time. Will make them proud of their family and happy to look forward to better things, so far as we can, wont we, dear?

I've just gotten a call and must leave the office so will not continue now. You know where my heart is and for whom it beats. And so with fondest love and a bunch of kisses. I am
Your
Joe

Tuesday
Sweetheart,

As I was looking for a paper, I thought I saw an old envelope, and sure enough in opening it what do you think I found? I am enclosing it for me, to give you a chance to laugh, long and loud.
Little did I think then of today. It is over five years old as you will see by the date.
Did I know you? Did I know that kid with the bended head. Or the lassie on the extreme left?

You may have it for a little souvenir for your gallery.

With love
I am
Your
Joe

The next letter is January 3

No comments:

Post a Comment