Thursday, December 29, 2016

December 29 - I sometimes hesitate to write how glad I am, like Pollyanna, for fear that it will sound like mush.

Here we have a two letter day to end 1916. This has been a year full of excitement for Helen and Joe. I am sure next year will be filled with insight to their relationship and all kinds of things happening in the world. Remember that the last letter Joe wrote Helen he forgot to sign his name.

Letter Number 1








Friday

My dear,

Did I tell you the story of Henry Ward Beecher's sermon on the unsigned letter? No, well, here it is.
It was the usual custom of this unique man, on Sundays to open his mail while in the pulpit, and get inspiration or ideas for his sermon from what he would read.

Well, one Sunday he received a large blank sheet of paper, with one word on it "Fool".
When he started his sermon he prefaced his remarks by saying that he frequently received long and interesting letters from friends, who in their haste to write much and tell him lots often forgot to sign their names. (Is that my case?)

Then he continued and said that this morning he received a peculiar letter. It bore no message. All it contained was the name of the writer.

Louis and his friend are in New York now and probably have phoned to you, *nicht wahr? If they will stay Monday night, it would be very nice for we could have quite a little crowd of our own. I will leave tomorrow on the 4:10 arriving at Grand Central 5:36 if on time.
Should you hear from Louis, tell him to call me tomorrow night at your house about 7 so that we can make some arrangements for New Years.

I returned from Court this morning, and had quite a strenuous day. Among the matters, were two divorces that I secured for unfortunate woman, according to their stories.
I really had thought of going to New York tonight but I have an engagement in the office and so cannot but will follow my usual custom as above stated.

I am so delighted that you did so well at the concert. Of course I knew you would, and it tickles me that you "made good".

We had a great time last night, and I've lots to tell you. I don't dare begin now because it would take too long.

Your two letters arrived together and do you know, they have better effect than a spring tonic.
I sometimes hesitate to write how glad I am, like Pollyanna, for fear that it will sound like mush.

But you know that a week is a very long time.
Mother only this morning said that you must be a very patient girl not to expect me oftener. I told her you did expect me, but what could I do about it. She said "Well, you find time for lodges, business and other things, why not for Helen?"

I think you've got the "drag" around here. Stella sprung something like that too.
And the kids ask when Aunt Helen is coming again. More toys I suppose!

With love,
I am Your
Joe (There it is)

*nicht wahr is German meaning Isn't it so?

Letter Number 2

 




Friday night about  night

My dear:

If I don't sign this letter, would it make you more angry than if I didn't write at all; assuming I have just a couple of minutes,while waiting for some men to call for me? Golly, how black the ribbon singularly got all of a sudden.

I wrote you a long letter a short while ago, but I have just read for the second time the clipping you sent the other day,and I think it so good I am returning it to you.

Old Elbert  Hubbard once said "the things that men do are usually right, their reasons for doing them,usually wrong." After reading that article, you perhaps can understand the mys­terious ways of mankind, and how impossible it would be to ask mere man to explain what he meant, when he acted in such and such a manner.

I am in the midst of drawing a set of Ordinances for Shelton, and it is some task. I have an idea that it may be necessary for me to take it along with me,and maybe Sunday night when wear alone, we can kind of work on it together. Like that brief, remember? But then,it may be finished to-night to save that trouble.

Charles had an idea that we could leave New York Sunday night, and join them in Stamford at one o'clock, and then motor to Bridgeport, you to stop at his house and we could all go up to Shelton Monday morning while the new officials ware sworn in, and the first meeting of the Board of Aldermen be held, at which these Ordinances are to be adopted. But I don't think much of it,for in the first place no party will break up that night at one, and assuming, as is likely, that they will return home at about three or four A.M. how in the world could we ever get to Shelton the next morning and look awake, and then get back to New York in the afternoon for an evening celebration, as we plan?

As Weber says "You couldn't do it." Nor will we try. It is imperative that I be in Shelton at nine in the morning, and have considerable to do that morning. My plans are therefore to leave New York on the midnight Sunday, get to Shelton in due season; and when the festivities of induction are over start back for New York and sweetheart. But it certainly shows that the folks are, thinking of you all the time; and that is what pleases me more than anything else perhaps.

'Lissen' girlie Mr. Schnee just called me on the phone and said that he expects to go down to New York tomorrow in his car leaving here at noon getting there at about three. So here is my hope. l will take the 4:10 arriving at Grand Central at 5:36. However, should I go by car, you will receive a phone call from me around eleven or twelve telling you where I'll meet you. Unless you get that call, however, I shall take the train.

It is getting late,and I have lots to do; so good night kidlets till the morrow.

Your Joe
Joe (for the last letter)

And so ends the letters Joe wrote Helen in 1916 and we move on to 1917 as they prepare for their June wedding.

The next letter is January 2, 1917

No comments:

Post a Comment