Sunday, December 11, 2016

December 11, 1916 - Really, dear, the sun is brighter than I ever saw it.

Well I guess Joe was happy to have Helen and her family visit him at his mother's home in New Haven, CT. His affections are flowing.



Monday near noon
My darling girl,

Yesterday seems to me to be only a dream. Were you actually here, or am I dreaming. Were the folks really in Bridgeport, or did eat too much and am having a pleasant snooze?
It seems too good to be true. Really, dear, the sun is brighter than I ever saw it. You know why? Just because, when you left, you looked so happy for the first time that day, that it made up for your old blues and chills.

I have conferences on in Shelton tonight and so am writing now, in the additional hope that this may reach you today.

Tomorrow night is lodge night, but will try and write during the day; but I'm going to New York Wednesday, sure; a different sure than one I received last week from a sweet "lil" lassie.

You know, I had quite a smile to myself, when your father returned from his journey with Charles and Doctor yesterday prior to their pinochle or whatever it may be. He came over to me, looked squarely into those deep green eyes, and said "say boy, you're some guy". I wondered what he actually thought before. I would give my little whip - as Lauder says it - to have been on the conversation homeward bound.

Your mother liked my mother's house quite some, she said. It's too bad it was late, isn't it?

Well, tomorrow is coming, and then Wednesday. "Time, oh, time, in thy flight, make me a boy again just for that night." With lots of love & kisses & hopes that you're well

I am your,
Joe

I am always amazed how Joe quoted from his memory, as seen in this letter where he quoted from the poem "Rock me to Sleep, Mother" by Elizabeth Chase Allen.

The next letter is on December 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment