Wednesday, December 7, 2016

December 7, 1916 - Motoring in a Cadillac

Here is a letter giving detail of some of his work plans. I guess he liked to let her know everything that was going on.




Thursday
My darling,
I have just received your long letter and clippings; and as you know it is unnecessary to make any comments on them.

I have concluded my little journeys for a little while. Last evening Mr. Keen and I went to Winsted 80 or 90 miles from here, motoring in a Cadillac. And would you believe it, when we struck the Berkshires, it was snowing pretty fast? The old fashioned snow storms had arrived; but on our return, found the moon and stars out here in all the nocturnal glory (some splash!).
How delighted I was to hear that you are to be here Sunday. Tonight, over the soup plate (I could say tea-cups, but why should I?) I will ascertain just when you should land here, and will write, so that we can all come back together.

In the meantime, I expect to leave Saturday on the 4:10 as usual; ready for the "Opry".
Regarding Spero's note, I agree with you that our Sundays are pretty well taken up till Christmas, and it would be advisable if you wrote to them to that effect; perhaps add that we might, if we got the chance drop in on them, but a little later would inform them when we'd be able to see them.

"Listen" sweetheart. One of my old fashioned long journeys seems imminent. It has begun to show itself in the last few days. It is very likely that I may have to go to the Canadian borders within a week or ten days. But I'll tell you all about my plans when I see you. It'll be a flying trip, mainly spent in going and coming. And do you know, a little secret, it's been so long since I've been on trains for days at a time, that it seems almost fascinating to just look forward to it. But hardship now will be to think of you in little old New York, waiting, peacefully waiting, for my return.Mother is getting along very well, though she is still in the house, taking very good care of herself.

Do you know, dear, that I feel terribly sorry I couldn't write yesterday, but things came so thick and fast; and really nothing of any consequence either, that just stopped or blocked me from writing.

Clara is alone at the office and has her hands full. Still looking , or rather again looking for a shorthand typer.

With heaps of love from
Your
Joe

The next letter will be on December 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment