Tuesday, December 27, 2016

December 27, 1916 - I'll take the oath of office for the following positions, Corporation Counsel, City Attorney, and Justice of the Peace.

As you can see from the title of this post Joe was very busy in establishing himself in the Connecticut legal community. Glad he kept his sense of humor thru it all. Notice the signature or lack of one at the end of the letter. This is not the last we will hear of that.




Wednesday noon.

My thweetheart:

This is as Barnet would say it. And speaking of Barnet reminds me that I have added another accomplishment to those Stella told you about. Whether it will be of any interest is another matter. It is this, Stella asked that I take Barnet out and get him a haircut at my barber's. So I did it yester­day. The kid was so fussy and moved around so, that I had to hold him in the chair and hold his little bean steady, with the result that he got a real Buster Brown hair cut.

And yesterday afternoon Stella was out shopping, and took Barnet and Myra along. Can you imagine little Myra coming down the long hall dressed up exactly like the doll Aunt Helen gave her except that she wore blue, and with a shape a la Joe Weber. I almost said a la Uncle Joe, but didn't dare. She was lugging her baby (babby she says it) under her little chubby arm. The rest of the toys were in the car. Lucile is still at home with her cold and was not in the party that went to "gamma's" for the toys. They bothered all morning so Stella packed up the two and started out to get them. Stella will probably (this ought to be a new paragraph) write you; when I mentioned it to her, she said that between her being sick herself, and Lucile's illness, and her Charitable Society she was far behind in her social correspondence. Barnet volunteered to write, and I would not be surprised that he would paint a letter to you in his own peculiar sanscript.

I received a post card from a man in Shelton this morning
offering to sell his house to me. Doesn't it sound good?

But that is not all. In the first place he expects to move out next summer or fall; and in the second place he offers it to ma because he heard I was looking for a house, and wants to sell it to give me a chance to make an investment, offering to lease it from me. But the best part of the joke, for that is all that I consider it, is that knowing the house, and its location, and also its make-up, I think that with some very material repairs and considerable painting, it might do very nicely for a garage, but there are a few too many rooms. No dearie, when I get some place to live in, it may not be the equal of the mansion you really deserve, but it will be as nearly as we can find it, a pretty little home where we can be happy and have some of the comforts that we ought to expect to make up happy and contented. And, would you believe it, I am optimist enough to think that something like that is imminent, and very soon? Yizzir.

What did you think of those cartoons I sent to you? I had an idea of doing the same to-day but the artist wasn't there with the punch enough to make me laugh, so I'll wait.

I saw Mr. Kneen this morning, and was informed that the officials appointed by him will be duly sworn in next Monday at ten A.M. After that there, will be a very short meeting of the Board of Aldermen and then I'll be ready to start for New York.

Thinking of being sworn in reminds me that I'll take the
oath of office for the following positions, Corporation Counsel, City   Attorney, and Justice of the Peace.

Last night Doctor Rosen was unanimously elected president of our Bnai Brith Lodge, to succeed me, for the ensuing year. Charles was elected as one of the three delegates to the District Grand Lodge meeting to be held at Buffalo next February,

Louis will be in New York at a physician's convention or a surgeon's convention, I don't know which, this week end, and I think I'll have him stop at the Club to give the boy a taste of regular New York Club life. He and his cousin Louis Shapiro, the young doctor that called on us, will perhaps be together, and unless they have made other plans, do you think it would be a good idea to have them up for Monday? Of course, I haven't talked to Louis about it, not having seen him for a few days.

Yesterday I sent a booklet to Abe, and think that he will probably like it. It's like one that I carry.  Do you want one, too?

Judge Wilder, did you meet him while here? just called and is waiting for me to go out to dinner, so will close at this point. With kindest regards and love and all the sweet things that usually go with it,
I am
Your

The next letters will be on December 29


No comments:

Post a Comment