Thursday, December 15, 2016

December 15, 1916 - Your letter this morning was simply gree-and.

Joe was able to write a letter while waiting for the train to leave the station in New Haven, mail it and be confident that Helen would receive it Friday night or early Saturday morning in New York. No priority mail or overnight; just 2 cents. And the stationary is priceless. It is so fragile that I had to use archival tape to hold the pages together.



En route to Hartford Friday the 15th 1916
Sweetheart Helen,

Your letter this morning was simply gree-and. And the letter to Hubbard was a cuckoo too! I'd laugh if he published it, under a heading, say, "The way we like to loose subscribers." Or maybe, he'll tell you to keep the book as his present. Old Elbert Hubbard would, believe me, and he would have added a word that would make your heart leap with joy.

I am on the way to Hartford. We are in New Haven now, and am trying to get this letter under headway before the train leaves, so that my writing will be legible.
I finished my day's work in Court at 12 and just got to the station in time for the 12:18. It was a few minutes late, so I borrowed this paper and envelope form one of the men at the depot, because I couldn't get any writing material for love or money then; and unless I got this out now, you wouldn't hear from me.

The blizzard is on in great shape. I'll be in New York tomorrow (Saturday) at 5:36 as usual.
I may try to get down earlier, along about two, but am not sure at all . In case I might arrive earlier, leave word home where you are, if not there, so that I can get in touch with you.
But don't figure on anything except the 5:36 and if it's pleasant, will you meet me.

The train is about to leave so will mail this.

Lots of love,
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment