Tuesday, January 3, 2017

January 3, 1917 - This letter is more or less a lot of junk, but in these war days, junk is more or less valuable.

Here is another two letter day. As you can see from the postmarks one went out at 8:00 P.M. and the next at 9:00 P.M. First time Joe has mentioned the war.

 Letter Number 1




January 5, 191 7
My dear:

Lots of news this time, but little time to write.

Barnet went to Public School as usual; but will you believe it that Lucile and Myra were piloted off to kindergarten? Some class to those kids, in the meantime Stella is considerable relieved.

Also, who do you suppose called me up and asked for your address? For the purpose of doing what? And when? Quite a few questions, no? I'll end the agony or suspense and say that Mrs. James L. Dolgooff, was in town to-day,and said  she bought something for us and wanted to send it to you. I think that is very kind of her, and I have already thanked her for it, verbally; but I know that you will properly acknowledge its receipt :in due form, according to 1aw.

And will you believe it , I would have gone to New York to-night if it wasn't raining so blamed hard all day? I got through with the meeting last night after eleven and didn't hit the hay till near one again. My, but a little wink or two would be refreshing.

That clipping by Helen Rowland to-day was a peacherino. It is so human and warm spirited that it makes you feel as if it were yourself talking all the time. And it so at home in it's ideas, too.

We certainly did have a great time at home, as I wrote you in my letter yesterday.
I have to get around some this afternoon, and it is a pretty nasty kind of a day to do it, it is raining so hard just now. But then there is some1uok connected with it for my client has a closed car and we' 11 get around in that.

A little later in the afternoon, if I get a chance I'll take my typewriter in hand and drop you another page or two.

But it is near three now, and dinner has lost all its charm today, but a little bite might not be amiss.
So, with lots of love and kisses, I'll get some eats.
Your,
Joe

Letter Number 2 






Wednesday night
My lil sweetheart,
It is a little later, and I’ve had another chance to drop you a line, and so take the opportunity of doing it.

I am all excited about the idea of yours coming to Bridgeport Sunday night and actually being in town for several days.

And do you know, I expect to have you visit the City of Shelton, and give us the once over.
It would do your heart good to hear Myra tell of her first day at school. Imagine but two years old.
And now Barnet is yelling that he is changing things from the pockets of one suit to that of another he intends to wear tomorrow. “Now where is the wash wag” he is yelling.
The children’s room has been newly furnished in white and it really looks like a young ladies boudoir.

Dearie, Taylor Holmes will be here in Bunker Bean. Cyrile Mand was her in Grumpy. This is getting to be some place.

Stella was just called on the phone and said “Hello Helen”. What was the answer? Of course not. But in a day or two this may be true.

Myra’s exclamation upon her return home today, destined to go down in history as famous is “didn’t we have a wonderful time in kindergarten, Lucile?”
Believe me, at her age, I could not talk English or anything else, nor did I know of a kindergarten, nor did I ever hear of “wonderful”.
“De world do move”.

Tommy and Tabs both smiled in Katz fashion when I said to mother you were coming. Even they appreciate your visit. You must have slipped them a hunk of meat.
This letter is more or less a lot of junk, but in these war days, junk is more or less valuable.

Wish a good night Kiss I am
Your
Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment