Wednesday, February 1, 2017

February 1, 1917 - Do you know it looks very serious with our international relations?

The title of the post really speaks for itself. As you can see Joe is going to start to address some of the world unrest as the letters move into February. Glad he felt comfortable with the man at the helm; it was not the man he voted for.




Thursday night
My dearie,

I was very happy when I found one of the old fashioned and very thick letters greeting me with a smile this morning.

I wanted to write earlier today but couldn't just get at it for some unknown reason. Of course tomorrow is the first and that makes a little more work than usual.

And tomorrow Charles & the doctor and perhaps Stella start for Buffalo; and naturally that will make me stick close to the office. I'll leave for New York Saturday night 5:40 arriving at 125th street 7:00 and at your home 10 or 15 minutes later. Do not hold up your dinner for me, just get started and save me something; for you know I can catch up if need be.

A week from Saturday is Samson and Delilah, and at night Pagliacci etc. Maybe, who knows, I can have your luck and get tickets. Wouldn't that be great? I should say so.
Tonight in addition to the Fireman's banquet at Shelton our Charity Ball committee meets, and it is impossible to be at both.However, if I could go just where my heart is this minute, well, you know, where I'd be.

You might keep those rubbers I left until my arrival. I was sorry I left them, and discovered it as I left in the elevator, but had no time to turn back.

Do you know it looks very serious with our international relations? No one knows what tomorrow will hold for us. Our nation has been very brave and honorable and has kept out of was so for. How much longer? That is a terrible question, when the world's afire, and some are throwing torches in every direction. But we have a good man at the helm, and though the ship may pitch & roll, we can depend on hem to steer us right.

Your,
Joe

The next letter will be February 5

No comments:

Post a Comment