Sunday, February 12, 2017

February 12 1917 - Little light burning in memory of dear old Meyer .

This marks the anniversary of the loss of Joseph's younger brother. Meyer died  January 28, 1913 and on the Hebrew calendar it changes slightly every year. Here is a link to Meyer's first yartzeit. This also marks the beginning of the forth year that I have been posting on this blog. Here is a long newsy letter.





February 13,1917.


Dearest:
Know what I was doin' about' leven this mornin? Well, I was just finishing up in the City Court, and was starting for the trolley for Bridgeport, and had to sprint to make it at that. On arriving in the town, around noon, I found several people waiting for me in the office, and about one went out for a teeny bite to eat. I rushed back and have been in the office all afternoon; it is nearly six.
I'll start for Shelton this evening for the special meeting of the Board of Aldermen, and knowing of several matters to come before them, am looking up the law to be able to pass more or less intelligently upon them when they are formally presented to me.   Then, maybe about eleven or so, will go to sleep.

Oh, girlie, I received a letter this morning from a very prominent lawyer here, requesting that I take care of the trial of a certain matter for him; and Charles and I are very much flattered with the nice contents. I'll bring it along during the week, if I get a chance to run down, or else Saturday. Do you know that I am seriously thinking that maybe tomorrow night I'll be able to have the evening off? But I would not bank too strongly on it; judging by past performances. But does the contingent possibility of such a remote idea even bring a momentary spark of joy to you? To me, well, I can almost survive on it.

I had a dandy meal this noon. It was a rushing affair, but I went to the house and saw the kids, and we ate together. They are all well, and in addition Uncle Gus and Aunt Nat were among those present.
You do not want a chronological account of my doings I know, so since it is only Monday afternoon, what else can we talk about.
I thought of something. The Fra has not arrived since the December number, and I have written to Bert about it. May be when you cancelled yours he misunderstood and took my name off the list, but cannot see any sense in that. But just as soon as they commence to arrive, you will get them from me.
Last night mother handed me a sterling silver sugar spoon or shell, I don't know much about those things yet, that looks like a young and innocent bullion spoon, of a rather plain but pretty design. It will go well with ours, but it has no monogram on it; the lady handing it over not knowing what style of engraving was on the others, she said. It comes from some lady friend of mother's in New Haven, whom I once in the old college days, gave a couple of tickets to an inter­collegiate debate, and I also think, gave some tickets for the Yale Commencement in my time; and now she still remembers me, and pays the little debt of gratitude. Isn't that great. I had quite a lump in my throat when I saw the letter that came with it, telling of those hard and troublesome days that have faded in the distance, when times were different.

And when I arrived, I found the little light burning in memory of dear old Meyer you know mother follows the old Hebrew dates-and it had quite a depressing effect on me all day, I am so glad, now, that I did not go to the Opera, much as I wanted to, for this, of all days, would have not been one in which I was in the right mood to enjoy it ,as you can well imagine.
But I'll bet you and my other mother had a grand and glorious time. I can see Caruso standing with his back to the audience as the curtain rises, and in a moment commences his Celest—what's the use? And later as they sing in the old Temple, on the banks of the Nile, the soldier's chorus, the march of triumph, oh boy, but how I remember it all.
What do you say to this? Do you want to try and see if you can get tickets for Thais for Friday night? If you get two, I'll go to New York and take it in. Yes, even if I have to take my fools dress suit along to do it properly. Just you make a stab at it, and let me know what the bill is, and maybe if I have that much will re-imburse you. How about it? The prospects are that the house is sold out, but you are very lucky, and I'll bank on your ability to succeed where others cannot. So go to it.   I'll say this however, that if you get tickets, call up the Club and tell them to reserve for me for Friday night. I have my Saturday reservation, but if I went down for the Opera, would probably have to sleep somewhere. Of course if you cannot get any tickets, simply omit this call.
A man just came in, and when I'm through will leave; so
here endeth this lesson, with a bountiful supply of kisses for the best lil gal alive.
Your
Joe

The next letter will be February 13

No comments:

Post a Comment