Wednesday, February 15, 2017

February 15, 1917 - "These are the times that try men's souls".

Joe took advantage of any opportunity he had to write to Helen. Here he is riding a trolley and doing the best he could. As you can see the talk of war is mentioned in almost every letter. The quote that is the title of this post could apply to today 100 years later.





Thursday evening

Dearest,

I am traveling on the trolley and the lurching and swaying conduces to anything but ease in writing. My pen would probably sputter all over so resort to the pencil. Can you read it?
I have just left a special meeting called by Mayor Kneen for the purpose of taking a complete census, not only of persons but of the factories and any other data of military or strategic value to the state and nation.

My main idea in writing is that Charles and Stella are in New London tonight and return in the morning or rather near noon. Of course that necessitates my being on call at the office as soon as I finish in Court.

So, instead of getting away for New York about 2 as I expected, it cannot be done until the 4:10 at the very earliest. So that if the train is on time, I'll go to Grand Central. Do not meet me for I'll have to get dressed and fussed up a bit to be worthy of your presence and that'll take a little time, especially of the barber is busy. So that perhaps, if I dined at the Club and took my time and then dressed and called for you, say about 7 or 7:15 or so, don't you think it a good stint? I'll phone as soon as I arrive and hear what you think of it, but you know that if I have to take that 4:00 I'll not get to New York much away from 6. How much time would I have then to get around? But it"s up to you, and you have all day to think it over. These are my hasty views only. I just happened to think that perhaps your father might for a change like to be my guest for dinner at the Club, and we could go to your house together after it. If so, call him up and tell him to meet me at the Club, and I'll leave word with the doorman that he is coming. You can tall me what he decides when I phone you upon my arrival.

Or, but I do hope he decides favorably, if he will not, how about Abe doing it? Again I entrust the mission for your decision.

This is writing under difficulties. I haven't laughed much this week. During my spare moments I think very hard about the events and conditions of our Country. No one knows what the next day has in store. Naturally, we look ahead and plan and try to think what you would suggest also. As Thomas Paine once said "these are the times that try men's souls". But a girl like you is a great source of inspiration. With love and all appertaining thereto

Your Joe

The next letter is February 19


No comments:

Post a Comment