Wednesday, February 8, 2017

February 8, 1917 - It is just the midnight hour and he is phoning for a taxi

Here is a short note which infers  Joe was taken away from and evening with Helen. Instead he had to work until midnight.
The tone is a bit different than we have heard in the past.


February 8,1917.

Dear Helen:

I arrived luckily at nine, on schedule precisely; and as I had a sneaking suspicion, most of the excitement was a false alarm, tho there was considerable merit to it at that.

Stella went to Greenwich this evening, and naturally Charles was left alone, so he went to the office where there was plenty to do, and bethought himself that here was a free evening and so wired for me.

We have gotten out about three days work, for both of us worked and we haven't talked about anything except just what is before us, and in this manner, each being set on cleaning up, did so pretty well.   It is just midnight hour, and he is phoning to see if Stella has arrived, and also phoning for a taxi to take me home, as he does not want to have me travel around at this hour alone, being quite well known and mayhap may be beaned, as he says it.

He has just told me that he did not think I would mind coming back to help take advantage of an open evening to get out necessary work, and is giving me some Schmoos about how well we did it and covered so much ground etc.   There is no use, I came and did the work, so what’s the use in thinking of a very happy evening all busted up for me. I suppose, I am lucky to be able to get away as often as I do, so will not complain just now. It is very late, and I am not feeling any too gay just at present; and do regret that it caused you so much inconvenience. Perhaps we can make it up Sunday, what?

With love and kisses, I am
Your
Joe

The next letter is February 9

No comments:

Post a Comment