Sunday, February 26, 2017

February 26, 1917 - Train seats were at the same premium as onions.

I never know when I sit down to transcribe one of Joe's letters what interesting information I will find..
Apparently there was an onion shortage in 1917 as he states in the letter. I found this interesting article in "The Western Fruit Jobber". I have copied the page with the information about onions and you can see it below the letter.



 February 26,1917,

My dear:
Last night though the train ran in several sections, seats were at the same premium as onions seem to be. So when I arrived at Bridgeport, before going any further I called up Shelton and inquired of the officer in charge at night whether there were any cases for the morrow. Of course you will remem­ber that we were to have a special session of the Superior Court in Bridgeport this morning, and naturally was pleased when I heard that there were several cases awaiting me in the morning.

The result was that I arose at six, got to Shelton, finished and started back for Bridgeport, arriving at 10:30 and then in Court till one.
This afternoon the only thing L did that might be of any interest to you, I imagine, was to make the necessary reser­vations at the Club and Hotel for Wednesday,
The folks this evening have gone to a Red Cross meeting that is being held at the Temple; but I am at the office trying to do a little work, occasionally.
It has not rained bit to-day, but the streets at the crossings are very muddy or rather slimy, and everything seems so dull and forlorn. The very grey clouds seem to be filled with showers of rain, but will not disgorge. If they had a good cry and got it over with, perhaps the sun could come out again
and give a real day to us tomorrow. It's about time for it.

In looking over the Hebrew Standard or the American Hebrew I believe the enclosed article seemed very attractive, and the more I read it the more it appealed to me, so am ending it along for what it is worth.

Tomorrow, perhaps, I’ll be in Stamford for the morning, and in New Haven in the afternoon; and if it is a. nice day, the automobile ride ought to be very fine. Don't you wish you were hare to take the little journey?

Wherever you go in the City you will find the head of the "Mahstar" displayed on posters, of course. Wont it be lovely to have him and his accompanying friends to dinner in a nice little party on Wednesday?

I am rather curious to see your letter tomorrow, I did not intend to mention it, but expect to hear you say something about the old New England courtship of lost night/where... the Puritan
was snugly seated somewhere near Plymouth Rock and Miss Amsterdam, or perhaps Miss Vir G. Inya (Virginia - Joe being funny) somewhere near Hampton Roads, and were engaged in a vary absorbing conversation on whether Heinz beans were canned etcetera.

So now to my briefs. With the same ardent love as of yore, I am still, not so very still at that sometimes, your
Joe

The next letter will be February 27

No comments:

Post a Comment