Monday, February 13, 2017

February 13, 1917 - In the event of war.

Here is a letter that once again brings up the subject of war and how the state of Connecticut was getting prepared.




February 13,1917.

Dear Helen:

It is near eight now, and with several things to be gotten out of the way before the another sun moves into view.

And then also, I really am all talked out just now. Just to show what a day like this one means. I arose at seven. Shaved, breakfasted, made the furnace for mother, because for some reason it expired last night, so that this morning the house felt somewhere as tho it was in Greenland, and was at the office by 8:30. After reading your letter and several others, I looked over some papers preliminary to starting a case, and at 9:30 started in, and was at it till just one. During that time I had the pleasure, if there be any, of examining several physicians who were giving expert testimony relating to epilepsy, and the various diseases that are akin to it, the symptoms, the effects, the condition of the brain of patients suffering from it etc. ad infinitum almost. And just as I arrived at the office at one all tired and ready for lunch, several people who had been waiting for me attacked me as I entered, and it was three o'clock before I knew it. Then came a call from Shelton and I immediately motored over, having several matters to get out over there. Upon my arrival back at 5:30 again a real estate deal got into my way, and I landed at Charles' about 6:30. At seven sharp a gentleman called for me and got me to the office. I have just about eight now, and I'm through so am dropping you this letter.   That is a fair day's work for a fat man, who has had a little bite early this morning, and was so tired to-night that I ate hardly anything. But it's a great reducer.

I had planned going to New York, but really, I am getting so that I feel that I kid myself to try and think of such things. For instance, Thursday night Mayor Kneen has appointed me on a committee to get up statistics of Shelton such as the number of able bodied men who could be called upon in the event of war, the nature of our factories, and all such data as would be necessary to be in the government's hands in the event of hostilities. You will probably recall that our Governor was among the first to wire the President that Connecticut was back of him in whatever he undertook, and would be prepared to do her share. So the mayors of various cities are doing a similar work, in order that the State may be thoroughly covered and all available and valuable data be systematically arranged. That is the beginning of preparedness. This committee meets Thursday night to lay out plans for the work.

But I am holding Friday night open for Thais at present. What are the chances?

I am so glad that you enjoyed the Opera. I am of course sorry that I could not go, but when in New York will show you a letter that I believe will make up for my inability, and will make you feel at least satisfied with what I was doing instead.

I broached the subject of having Florence come down for the Ball, and was informed that they were planning for you, but that Aunt Nat had a girl friend coming also. With that arrangement you can see that there would be no additional room for another, unless a couple of girls would want to stay at the Hotel ,and I do not approve of that. But don't you care, for when we are at Shelton, ah, well, things will be different.

My fingers and head are so tired they both refuse to work. Perhaps you have noticed the number of mistruck letters.

Under such circumstance, will you excuse me if I stop right here?

With lots of love and kisses to my dearest girl, I am
Your,
Joe

Here is a photo of an original poster from the Opera Thais:
 


The next letter will be on February 14

No comments:

Post a Comment