Thursday, February 23, 2017

February 23, 1917 - But please, oh please lady, call up The Yale Club at once and reserve quarters for me.

Here is a fun letter from Joe as he was preparing for a special evening in New York with Helen.





February 23, 1917

My darling,
I have all kinds of news for you. That is strange after so short a visit.

To start with I have an appointment in Shelton tonight with the man who - but let's take it up seriatim. (taking one subject after another in regular order)
In court today, Peter,  not the gatekeeper, but the elevator boy was all excited over the fact that they actually cook soup and roast chicken on the stage. He was reading a review of "Come out of the Kitchen".

In Court, a case in which I'll appear defending Armour & Co. before the jury in an automobile collision suit, was assigned for Thursday at 10 A.M. I thought you might want to see me in action while the opportunity presented itself. But when, do you expect to get through with that dance the night before?

I'm terribly sorry the folks are not coming; because we have arranged for a dandy dinner at the Club, ordered tickets for the "Mahster", and then to the Ball. You know if we could get at it, we would invite Ysaye to dinner with us, he could take his crowd with him; and so suggest that you see what you can do towards accomplishing that from your end.

After dinner this evening, I have arranged to visit the people in Shelton and talk things over. Of course, I don't know now anything definite, and when I get ready to retire tonight, it may be  too late to write, so will save the results, if any there be, till we meet again.

Thus we arrive at another topic. When we meet again.

Charles as 2nd Vice President leaves for New York early in the afternoon, and from his ideas, several appointments have been made for me for the afternoon. Oh boy! How grand!
Under such circumstances I'll leave on the 4:40 arriving in New York, I imagine 6:06 at Grand Central. But don't you wait there. Your suggestion to wait in the Biltmore where you've sat for several hours the other night for a chance to eat and dance is a good one. It is the lobby from the Vanderbilt Avenue entrance. I'll get off the train, walk to the Yale Club and immediately go for you. How zat? I know where we'll dine. I won't ask you, either, there.

Of course, if you in the meantime think of some place to eat, and volunteer the information, you know that I'll follow my own mind. You might land at the Knickerbocker, Waldorf Astoria, Childs or One Lung Tin's; who knows?

But please, oh please lady, call up The Yale Club at once and reserve quarters for me. Thank you. Now don't forget it, till nearly six o'clock, do ye hear? Obey the impulse and call now. If the wire is busy, just wait and call before you do another thing.

My heavens, you don't want me to sleep in the Park, do you? To many squirrels, I heard you first.

Lots and then some more love and kisses. Any candy left? Not even one, gosh and golly.

Your
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment