Thursday, March 30, 2017

March 30, 1917 - Here is great news.

Here is the last letter of March and Joe seems in full gear to get a house as they get close to their June wedding. Not easier then than today. For what he inferred was a quick note this is a five page letter.







Friday,
Dearest,

Have but a moment to write. Will leave for New York tomorrow morning at 10, arrive at 11:30 and have an appointment for 12:30 downtown. I made it because I received two telegrams to be there at 2 but figured I could get through by that time and take in a matinee if you desired; or a nice long walk in this glorious sunshine.

Here is great news. Just listen. I've been negotiating with a man in Shelton for one of the prettiest new bungalows (8 rooms) specially built for him last winter. I haven't been inside, but it is new, and the exterior is so fine I presume the rest is harmonious. However, he said on Monday he would let me know whether he will sell it or not. I think he will, from the way he talked yesterday and today. What he is thinking about is where he can go to, so I suggested he would be at the shore all summer, and Goldberg like said “I never thought of that”.

Renting or leasing it is out of the question. If at all, he said "If I got a flattering offer, I’d consider selling it, and use the money elsewhere”. I asked him for his offer, and he suggested it. For your sake, I’d give it to him now, but I was told that he wants to think the matter over, over Sunday. So get your guardian angel working, and see if your luck will work so that he decides to take the money and let us have the house.

Here’s another. A friend of mine who has a new Cadillac Coupe (8 cyl.) of the last winter’s make, having used it hardly at all, has decided to buy a large seven passenger car, and I think I can get this one. It’s sedan style, room for four comfortably, and a real pippin – special body etc. just your style. I talked to him and he’ll let me know Monday whether he’ll keep it or let me have it.

This too is funny. I’ve spent practically all week looking for a house. I was on track of one several times and missed. Yesterday I saw a new bungalow and could perhaps have gotten it, but believe me, my garage is a mansion along side of it! It was the cheapest bit of junk I ever saw. Somebody’s back yard faces the front window, and there were a half a dozen barrels of ashes decorating that.

And when I glanced at the construction, well I told the man that I wouldn’t take it for a gift.

That was late yesterday. Last night at Stella’s I told her that and said I was disgusted. I felt blue all over. Nothing was good and not a chance. So I said “Well, I guess that’s what I should expect, that’s my luck”. So Stella, sisterly like, gave me a lecture about kicking at my luck, saying, you seem to get what you need, and you should be ashamed to bemoan your luck. Everything that’s good comes hard, she said, something will turn up. Just then a name came to my head. I recalled that he had a new house built last winter. I had heard that it cost him too much to live in it or something, and that he wanted the cash to get a smaller one.

I don’t know exactly what his reason was or is and don’t care. I called him and by golly, he began to talk business. Again today, with the result I mentioned so the clouds are rapidly going and the sun is out again.

I’ll call you when I arrive tomorrow, or if you are not home I’ll call any how and you can leave word where I can meet you.

With love
I am
Your
Joe

Bound for train Xcuse scribbling

The next letter is April 2

No comments:

Post a Comment