Tuesday, March 21, 2017

March 21, 1917 - I'll let you into a little secret. Don't tell any one.

Here is a letter filled with information about Joe's house hunting. He also brings up, as he often does, his food intake. Here is the car that Joe went out for a ride in which Joe  mentions at the beginning of this letter.


 1917 Pierce Arrow Roadster






March 31,1917.

Darling:

This is really the first day of spring-when maiden's thoughts turn to fancy, and youth's to love etcetera, as the poet would say. And in addition I received your lovely letter. What more can a mortal want? Lots, I hear you say. Yes, and better yet, a house on one of those lots. Yizza boy.

I have just returned from Shelton(l2:40)P.M. and will go to New Haven this afternoon in a nice new Pierce Arrow Roadster.   You know that I sometimes think that I'll get a two-passenger car and then again a five. I think it depends on just what's what, I think of a larger one when thinking of taking friends out; and then when I find them heckling you, well perhaps my nature isn't so generous in that direction, that's all.

Miss Reitter has been ill since Saturday, and we are again short-handed. It is a slight attack of grippe and perhaps she'll be back again this week.

I'm very happy that you will be able, or rather that you were able last night to try to return to your little bed early.

Monday night I went to Shelton and worked with Mr. Kneen and the City Clerk till way late; last night the meeting kept up till after twelve; so to-night I'll try to repeat your performance.

I can hardly tell about Thursday night just yet; but the phone is still in use, and maybe I'll change my mind about not calling on the phone again; your letters sound so good and I know that you are feeling that way.

But I'll be in New York early Saturday afternoon if you have tickets for the recital, Please let me know whether you have secured the same, so that I may plan accordingly. My idea would be to take the train about 12:46 arriving somewhere about two; and then again I might be able to arrange to get away earlier, if Miss Reitter returns this week, as we hope she will.

Now for some pretty good news. Pretty good I told you, and remember it is only news. I spent quite some time looking over the Miller house in Shelton. That is the one that sets back from the street about 200 feet, with the large lawn in front filled with shade trees and many rose bushes, including three large magnolias, almost ready to bloom. The house has not been used for some time, and naturally -will require new painting and papering inside. At present it seems to be frescoed, and has very pretty electric fixtures, a new steam boiler, instantaneous hot water heater and many other convenient appliances. Of course, it is a large place, with many rooms, and I'll talk it over with you before anything is done. The price of it is considerable, and I am figuring what the expense of the upkeep would be to see whether we ought to consider it in view of that fact. In the meantime also I have been conferring with another man about a house that I think you’ll like much better, and will undoubtedly have definite “dope” when I see you.

I'll let you into a little secret. Don't tell any one. I got in very late last night and did not retire till two. Having a court appointment early this morning I made the seven o'clock train, but had to rush away without “breakfast”. When I arrived here I found both girls out, and Charles and the Doctor gone for lunch, they assuming that I'd arrive about noon, and await their return. Well, they haven't returned as yet and so I am waiting.

I was interrupted several times by clients calling both personally and on the phone, so it is now two and not a mouthful since yesterday afternoon, when I remember distinctly that I had two poached eggs on toast and a cup of tea for supper, only. Yet when I get a chance to look anything that resembles a square meal in the face, and seem to relish it, the eighth wonder of the wonder­ful world seems to be happening, according to the comment. And to tell the cold truth, it is so late that I have no desire for food, and presume that I'll wind up with a hungry headache before the day is out. The only saving feature of it is the fact that I'll take the ride to New Haven, and the open air will help some.

I saw a couple of cartoons in the paper and am sending them along; not that the match the kind and quality of yours, but mere-that they might make you smile at the suggestions.
In the meantime, enjoy yourself and like the spring, keep up your happy mood and radiate happiness as you so ably can. With lots of affection, I am

Your
Joe

The next letter is March 23

No comments:

Post a Comment