Thursday, March 23, 2017

March 23, 1917 - The world looks good and the future glorious.

As you can tell by the amount of stamps on this envelope Joe really wanted this to get to NYC asap!




Friday noon.

My dear,

It was not only impossible but absolutely in no way could I get to a phone yesterday to tell you that I could not get away.

And now, in a few minutes, I am leaving for New Haven to try a case, and will not return till tonight.
I am planning to leave here tomorrow at 12:46 and arrive in New York (G.C.) at 2:09 I think or maybe the 12:55 and arrive at 2:15. That will leave ample time for me to check my things and get to Carnegie at three.

I wonder whether you will care to meet me at the depot, or shall I call you on the phone?
Just follow my plan. If I don't see you waiting, I'ii assume that you are at home and will call. But at any rate, I'll take that  train (either generally leaves about the same time).

Shall I really tote along my dress suit? Or could you deign to go to the Wanderer without my being dressed up like a waiter for once.
I had an idea that I'd go down early in the morning; but an appointment in Derby prevents that.

So, dearie, we'll meet again soon. The air is balmy, and the sun bright. The world looks good and the future glorious. That's because you're a part of it all.
With imaginary kisses till the morrow. I am
Your fat man
Joe

The next letter  is March 27

No comments:

Post a Comment