Thursday, March 2, 2017

March 2, 1917 - With love as deep as the ocean, but not so green.

So March begins with lots of charm.




Friday evening

Dearest lil girl,

To night is the lonesomest ever. You would naturally think that of yesterday, but then, I was tired and retired early. But tonight, my, but every thing looks so vacant.

However, tomorrow isn't so far away is it?

Your presence certainly was auspicious. This morning I argued several cases, and succeeded in each. That's your inspiration, when you are as lovely and charming as I saw you Wednesday and yesterday.
I am going to Seymour, Conn. tomorrow and expect to be back in time for the 12:46 or 1:03 noon train. That arrives in New York (Grand Central) around 2 or 2:15 or so. I haven't my timetable and so can't tell.

Please write me next week and I'll send you a batch of blotters and a dozen of the finest pencils made. I am not in the office, and without the reminder will probably not think of it.
I believe you said you would wait at your home for my phone call. Of course I'll phone the instant I arrive.

In that remote possibility that always faces a professional man that I cannot get back to Bridgeport for the noon train, then I'll wire your house, and you can see me after the concert. Don't worry, I'll not let this happen, if possible.

I'm going on this trip in the morning in a handsome new coupet car, magnificently upholstered. A chum of days agone is having me driven up at my request.
But, oh pshaw, I'll be all alone, with you in New York pounding the ivories. And later you'll pound another dome, of pure solid ivory. Nicht pas? With love as deep as the ocean, but not so green.

Your,
Joe

The next letter is March 9

No comments:

Post a Comment