Sunday, March 19, 2017

March 19, 1917 - The world laughs, in spite of itself and its great struggles.

Short and sweet notes to Helen.



Monday near six,

Dearest,

I have just spoken to Mayor Kneen over the phone and we plan to work tonight.
I have also seen a beautiful automobile today that made some impression on me,. Only room for four, and maybe that's sufficient - no!

Oh, how much I could write just now. How much I could whisper to you.
But time moves on. The sun is still brilliant and the world laughs, in spite of itself and its great struggles. That's what urges men on and on.

And good women, who know these men and appreciate their weaknesses, add to their joy of doing and loving.

Do you know that when I saw those hyacinths - the white ones - that Hubbards' ideal woman came to mind? Can you imagine that in the same thought, you were as much my human ideal as I could wish for? And how I would have to take care of her, too.
Nay more, I saw a very pretty platinum watch bracelet and black band. Saw, remember. And I thought of that purse etc. and will wait till Wednesday, yes.

It's time for the train. I close seeing you smiling showing those white teeth and a faint trace of shine under that pink nose powder of yours, in my mind's eye. One big fond embrace as I rush off, as usual.
Catch that kiss.

Your
Joe

The next letter is March 20

No comments:

Post a Comment