Saturday, September 3, 2016

September 3, 1916 - There was a certain cold spring in the lake of friendship that was remarkable.

Here is a very interesting long letter that Joe wrote Helen after visiting her at camp. As you will see from here on the letters will be more frequent.





Wednesday the third (Really Sunday the third)

Dear Helen,

Of course you wont (will not is too correct) mind the paper! The exclamation mark shows my own surprise at such language. It is all I have at hand just now. It is the kind we make drafts of arguments, pleadings and notes on; and having finished some work thought I'd take a moment to drop a line. Bite?

Do you recall anything I said while in Wingdale? Possibly you noticed the prolonged and vociferous silence I maintained. Pauline did and told me so; in fact, asked about it. But of course I did say a word now and then. I was trying out Lincoln's thought of being a fluent listener. And one of those words were that I did not get a chance to talk to you hardly at all. Remember that?

And while I think of it, it strikes me as if you were not over  generous with your expression of ideas. Can it be that you were taking the same exercise? Or was it that you put on the brakes - called "maidenly reserve" in one of your letters once - and were running on low gear? I cannot account for it, try as I might. There was a certain cold spring in the lake of friendship that was remarkable. I thought I detected it as I swam around in the warm hospitality so generously extended to me; and imagined how surprised or startled  (I can't say which) I was when I heard a couple of women - at the giving of Schless metals (spelled advisedly) - pass the remark - not aware that I was drinking in the conversation - that it was "odd how cool she treats that Shapiro after he came so far to see her."  You remember I told you I had inadvertently overheard some gossip. But what surprised me was what they meant by cool. What did they expect? And why should they expect or suspect anything? To be sure Albert had been there prior to my arrival, and perhaps comparing anything to his display of affection, anything would be frigid. This conversation had taken place - if you can recall it - at the time you were sitting "high on the seat of royal state" in the window of the alleged ballroom while I was down below and asked you to go out for a stroll, which request fell flat. And such a line of talk by people who are trying to obtain the right to vote was only one of the reasons for my suggestion to go out.

Never having been a physician, and with no intentions of studying for one, I am a poor hand at diagnosing. And so, as we say in law, I have sort of reserved decision - whatever that means.
But if there was any frigidity present, even then I can account for it. And it's all my fault. There is no one else to blame. And what is more, I had fair warning of the fate that would come. And I did not use steel cars, so to speak, to prevent the trouble. I should have expected it from what was told me long ago. For I recall once upon a raw and gusty day, Caesar said to me 'darest thou Cassius leap. Say what am I trying to do rehearse Shakesfellow?, as I said I recall once you said, when I was down to about 120 and was sailing South for a little health, in wishing me bon voyage to acquire all the health I could, but not to gain too much weight, you added "I don't like fat men." I wish I had that letter so I could quote it all. And so I say, having disobeyed your admonitions and come to Wingdale with 160 pounds wearing white socks and your favorite red tie, I should have known what was in store for me.
I have been to Hartford, and return early tomorrow morning again to continue. I had this in my system and thought it time to get it out.

I was very much surprised to hear that you had not received The Philistine, especially when you wanted it, and it was promised you. Will you overlook anything that has been said that might sound "crool", and accept it from another friend, who will try to make good his promise? All right, I thought you might. So I have today notified Elbert to put you on his mailing list for a year. And noticed in one of his ads that with the subscription, he also gives a bound copy of "A Message to Garcia." I have instructed him to send that to you also - you can't get enough of the good stuff. I might have done this sooner, aye, I thought of it, but feared that I'd be intruding on another's prerogative - *ob das meint etwas. Hope you have a good time at Coney Island tonight.

Sincerely,
Joe
* Means If that means something.
He was really workingthis experience.

The next letter is September 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment