Sunday, September 25, 2016

September 25, 1916 - Tempus fugit. Also pigeons.

I have been anxiously awaiting to post this letter. What a classic opening line.
Enjoy the letter.



Monday afternoon,
My darling,

Tempus fugit. Also pigeons. And mayhap as Myra says 'kittas', who wont have 'becksas'.
I spent all morning and part of the afternoon in Court, and have jut written a letter to Dr. Neumann thanking him for his good wishes and accepting an invitation to have dinner with them - you included. Was I correct in this?

Just so that you may feel assured that I've thanked Mr. Kronholtz properly I'm sending you a copy of my letter to him. My how I wish I could properly express my gratitude; but with your influence and inspiration, may, and undoubtedly, will improve.
Shush! I heard my brother talking about getting some samples of Patrician style of Community silverware for us to look over. I don't know how it will materialize, whether you will like it, I mean, but it listens mighty good.

All I've seen today in the line of animals are Collies. What's the idea?
Weren't Saturday and yesterday ideal days? It's pretty cold today, but have hopes of it getting warmer tomorrow.

I expect to leave for New York Wednesday afternoon arriving about 6:06 if that train is on time. I don't like to ask you to trouble yourself to meet me, but it sure would be grand if you did. I arrive at that hour unless you hear to the contrary.
I have several busy nights ahead, and now that the news is spreading, have many pleasant greetings exchanged.

My brother is much pleased, just as I had anticipated. He thinks so much of your mother and sisters too. Well your dad and Abe will simply have to be home next time.
Probably by Wednesday our maps will be in proof form. I almost hate to think what mine will be like. And following out another idea, Mr. Keen asked me just when we were coming to Shelton. What do you think I told him? And this morning my mother asked me why I don't invite you down for a week end. That applies to the rest of the "fambly" too.

I never knew how wonderful life was, before. Last night when I said my prayer, you were the chief concern. The sun seems so warm, the days so pleasant, and the nights so refreshing, that all I want to make it a perfect, complete, and beautiful entirety, is you.
Well, dear, it's getting near six, so must move on.

Your Joe

Letter to the jeweler about Helen's ring.

September 25,1916.

Dear Cousin Sig:

To start with I want to thank you for the exquisite ring that you had made up. By George, I've always admired your taste, but this time, you broke all records and apparently outdid all your previous good work. The ring is certainly a work of art, just as you predicted; and you cannot begin to realize how glad I was not to interject any of my ideas, but to rely entirely upon your judgment.

You know that language was made to conceal thought; else I might be able to properly express my gratitude to you for your kindness. Still, you'd be twice as happy to hear of the fine things Helen is saying about you. As the Good Book said-she quotes-"by their deeds shall ye know them.”
I was very sorry not to be at the phone yesterday when you called, but Charles invited us out for the afternoon, and so missed your call. I am terribly sorry, but will make it up later.

Elbert Hubbard once said that the four sweetest words ever composed that brought the greatest joy to man's soul were these: "Enclosed please find, check.” It shall be my pleasure to sing that harmony to you if you will kindly send the bill, as in my present happiness, I’ve discovered that I did not take a memorandum of the exact amount you stated.
With kindest regards to Cousin Sallie, the children and yourself,

I am
Sincerely 

The next letter will be September 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment