Monday, September 26, 2016

September 26, 1916 - I am your Joe

This is the first letter with what became Joe's signiture on his letters and led to the name of the blog.
It has been almost 3 years to get here!



Tuesday
My dear,

You know how difficult it is for me to read your letters when they are not on engraved paper. Somehow I am unable to understand what you say; else why the profuse apologies you are making? Ish gabibble also mox mwouse about the engraving; it's your specimen that does the trick.

Naturally, I was sorry to hear how late your company kept you, but, you are punished by your sins not for them. You are so agreeable and pleasant that they do not like to go away and so they linger longer. Of course I'm judging by my own standards; and not think of the pinochle game in the dining room at all when I say it.

It's refreshing to read such fine letters as you send; always so full of information and cheer.
You recall the threat you made, or was it I, that we would excuse anybody from a present that was actually surprised. Well we've found a job for Diogenes, I guess. Where does that friend live, in Crete, or Borough Park? Surely not near New York.

Don't think much about the chill in the weather. The Giants won 21 straight, and that's warm enough for anybody. Smashing all kinds of records.

As I have suggested I'll leave here 4:40 tomorrow arriving 6:06 or thereabouts at Grand Central.
I have a case to try this afternoon, and will start looking over papers in a few moments. So, with kindest regards to the folks and lots of love to my dearie,

I am Your Joe

The next letter is September 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment