Tuesday, September 13, 2016

September 13, 1916 - Your letters were so refreshing

 Here is one of Joe's letters written before he starts his active work day. As things seemed to have changed in their relationship he is writing more often.



Wednesday morning,
My dear,

I was very anxious to get a letter out for you, but you guessed correctly that Monday is a long day. Yesterday our Bnai Brith lodge opened for the season, and there were so many things to do to have an interesting beginning.

Court comes in this morning, and I'm down to the office early (7:30) to get things in shape so that I may be away all day.

Your letters were so refreshing and the cartoons so interesting that I'm still having a good smile. And oh! that fat man's article? I'll return it later, but I have a good place to use it first.

That Grange affair is Saturday night, without a doubt now. I spent some little time with the president, but Saturday evening is the only time they have set aside; so that's it, which means that I'll spend tonight and tomorrow night preparing my extemporaneous address.

On Sunday morning there is a train leaving here at 8:57 arriving in New York at 10:30 A.M. That's the one I'll take. Do you think you'll be able to get down to see it come in?
The clipping about Arliss' new play cast a little dullness over the rest of the letter. I had anticipated so much from the announcement, and more so because some girl friend of yours raved over it too.

What did you think of the returns from Maine? Doesn't that show how the political wind is blowing?

Gently call your father's attention to his remark that it would be a closer vote, to the real fact that it was overwhelmingly G.O.P.

This pen doesn't slide as easily as your new one, and the office "force" is beginning to arrive, so it looks like quitting time for writing.

I don't suppose you saw the Harvest moon last night. But it was a dandy. On arriving at my mother's there is the broad moonlight, on the couch hammock on the veranda, who do you suppose I found. Mrs. Tabby Kat and her five young ones, together with Tousny Kat and Lady Kat her other son and daughter, all named thus by Barnet.
Your Joe

The next letter is September 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment